1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant Stop Errors (Blue Screen of Death)

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bluetnert, Jul 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluetnert

bluetnert Thread Starter

Hi,
    Lately, I have been having constant stop errors. They appear different each time. I've noticed that the problem gets worse when I launch Windows Media Player. I dont have information on the stop error codes, but I will get them as soon as possible.
    I reall need some help. The codes seem to appear at random, and sometimes there are several in sucession. After an exceptionally large bout of Blue Screens of Death, I get messages saying "windows has recovered from a serious error". All the error reports I send come back corrupted. What is wrong???
    Any advice on getting rid of the blue screens of death, or the corrupted errors would be helpful... Thanks.
    PS. I seem to be having the same problem with Windows Media player. It doesnt stay open very long before it closes saying "Windows Media Player has encountered an error and needs to close. This problem is especially bad when I am ripping CD's. Often, after several of these messages, a blue screen of death appears.
    Is there any thing I can do?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a 3rd party driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory

3. bluetnert

bluetnert Thread Starter

Here are two stop errors I found on the blue screens of deat -
    Stop: 0x0000008E and Stop:0x00000050
    Hopefully this information can help.
    The problem also deteriorates whenever I sign on to Windows Live Messenger. I cant maintain a proper conversation anymore.

4. bluetnert

bluetnert Thread Starter

Rollin' Rog,
    I cant seem to be able to upload my files. I have done everything you said, including zipping the files, but I cant find the zipped files to upload, and I cant upload the regular sized files... am I doing anything wrong?

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Just select the last 3 or 4 dump files from that folder -- copy them to a new one and zip that folder. They are numbered by date. When you zip the folder it should appear next to the unzipped one. You can do it on the desktop.

The size of the zipped folder must be under 200 kb. Usually this is not a problem with a handful of dump files.

When you read a blue screen -- look for a driver file mentioned -- that is the key to sorting these out. Unfortunately they do not always appear in the standard BSOD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/599995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice