Constant stuttering and asset pop-in when gaming

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

icexa

Specs

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 16315 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon (TM) R9 390 Series, -1 Mb
Hard Drives: C: 232 GB (164 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z170 PRO GAMING/AURA
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

My Problem

This is my first dedicated gaming build. It has never performed properly. I do not achieve reasonable performance in nearly any game that I play. My games tend to stutter, especially when something is loading in. Sometimes my game will briefly freeze as assets pop in. Pop-in is a constant annoyance and my games stutter whenever it occurs. I have played games where my character spawns in a black void and the world slowly loads around him, piece by piece. Some games are nearly unplayable because of this, namely: Dark Souls 3, Starbound, Deus Ex HR, Subnautica. Sometimes even title screens load in piece by piece.

I get a flickering white screen when I open Dark souls 3 which lingers for about 10 seconds. When I exit DS3 my display crashes and I have to hard reset. Other games have frozen as well. Often the sounds keep playing while the screen is frozen until I hard reset. Sometimes after this happens I've rebooted and received this message:

"Default Radeon Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system error"

Lastly, when I open games my screen often flickers first. Sometimes I cannot see the games on my taskbar when I tab out and have to alt tab back in.

That's the story guys. I've been losing my mind over this. I'll be monitoring this thread neurotically for any help you can provide. Thank you so much in advance.

Attachments

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The Intel processor and AMD graphic card in your gaming rig use a combined total of 361 watts of power.
When you factor in the power usage of the other hardware and the demands of gaming, that equates to a lot of power.

What's the brand name and model number and wattage of the power supply in your gaming rig?

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
You appear to have a pretty good power supply, so I don't believe that's going to be part of the issue.

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, so be patient until one replies.

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Click the "Report" link in your reply window, then request to have a hardware/gaming expert jump in to help you.
I would do it for you, but we're no longer allowed to do it.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online