1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant Wireless Connectivity drops on Vista, fine on XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by theesir, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theesir

theesir Thread Starter

I have 2 laptops, one running Vista Home Premium SP1 and the other running XP Pro. Both are connected wireless to the same home cable internet connection.
    On the Vista laptop, internet connectivity dropouts have become so frequent that they make web browsing on the machine almost unbearable.

While the Vista machine has problems, the XP machine loses no connection, performing just fine. When I am not experiencing connectivity drops I get intermittant VERY SLOW page loads. I Get etiher "Connection to the Server was reset, Try again" messages or have to continually reclick the link to get it to connect.

The laptop has a Dell 1395 wireless WLAN mini card and it reports that it has the latest drivers.
    I have disabled Bluetooth in case it was causing a conflict, I have turned off the lan card, set the wireless power settings to Maximum performance and disables some page scaling thing that vista does all to no improvement.

I am running PCcylinn Internet security 14 as well as MS Defender, have disabled both and again found no improvement.

We have had this laptop for about a year and these problems have become progressivly worse for the past 3 months or so. About 3 months ago Dell replaced the motherboard under warranty (my wife spilled a glass of wine on the laptop).To the best of my recollection these problems began AFTER the MB change, but I can not say that for sure.

Any help in diagnosing this and ultimately solving this would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Piringa

Piringa

What about logging in to your wireless router on the vista machine? Does that seem slow as well? Have you tried transfering data between the two computers via a shared folder to test the connection without going on the web?

I would try going into the wireless router and double checking settings like mac filtering and playing with wep wpa on or off.

Another thing you could probably do and I would try this first is to change the frequency or "channel" of the routers broadcasting signal. Some routers you can change it from ex: channel 9 11 or 6. Some better routers have more options available.

3. theesir

theesir Thread Starter

The Vista machine does seem to take a long time to log in to the wireless router. It connects quickly, but it takes a few minutes before I can begin browsing.
    What would I check on the wireless router? What am I exactly double checking about mac filtering? It is currently disabled.
    I have changed the channel on the router and it has had no effect.
    The XP laptop runs at lightning fast internet speed and the vista machine continues to drop connectivity or fail to connect.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How does the Vista do with an ethernet connection?

Make sure you have the latest chipset and networking drivers from Dell's web site. Use your Service Tag for easier searching.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/802935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice