1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constant wireless disconnects

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Rockster1987, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rockster1987

Rockster1987 Thread Starter

I recently got a new router for my wireless network. Shortly after installing it, I'd notice that it would constantly disconnect in small spurts and then reconnect. Any idea what might be causing this?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The router disconnects from the modem? Look for a firmware upgrade and then reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

3. Rockster1987

What I mean is, I'll be using the internet and it'll just stop loading or whatever I'm doing will lag indefinitely until it just quits. Then after a minute or so it'll come back.

4. epsonone

epsonone

If you go to control panel /administrative tools /event viewer /application then you see a list, look for the time computer went down there should be error listed then right click on that line and go to properties and it will tell u why ..I hope

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Do these disconnects happen with a computer connected via ethernet to the router?

If so, do they happen with a computer connected to the modem?

6. Rockster1987

There's a bunch of lights that're on the router. Sometimes the ones that flash for a little bit are wireless and/or ethernet.

7. G-Stress

G-Stress

Hmmmmm... you didn't specify what type of router you have nor modem or ISP type? I would do as epsonone and TerryNet suggested, that will probably solve your issue. Also one thing I just happened to think of is I'm guessin your running a DSL connection probably PPPoE and in your new wireless router it's setup for Automatic/DHCP connection type.

You need to find that out and if so you'll need to set your DSL modem in bridged mode then set the router to PPPoE enter in the necessary credentials and wa-la.

If your on a cable modem setup then the above posts should help :D

8. Rockster1987

I'm pretty sure the router's a gateway (not the pc company) router and my ISP's at&t. And yeah, I'm running a dsl connection.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/724064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice