Constantly disconnecting from the internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Megabotx7

My internet enjoys disconnecting randomly, and doesn’t love me enough to accept me back to a stable relationship. So I get abusive on it, and start disabling and re-enabling it, but sometimes I take it too far and have to do a whole entire network reset. So my query is, how do I keep my internet from randomly disconnecting?

TerryNet

Terry
how do I keep my internet from randomly disconnecting?
Please start by being specific about the disconnects. The modem loses connection? What do its LEDs tell you? If this is what is happening, why do you not simply power cycle the modem?

plodr

Liz
My internet enjoys disconnecting randomly
Too general.
We don't know if you use a modem and router or a gateway, who your ISP is, if all devices disconnect or just one, and how devices are connected (wired wireless or a combination of both).

At this point, it could be a failing modem, a failing router, a bad ISP, a bad cable, a bad wifi card...or something else.

Megabotx7

Please start by being specific about the disconnects. The modem loses connection? What do its LEDs tell you? If this is what is happening, why do you not simply power cycle the modem?
While on my laptop I will either disconnect from the internet randomly or if I enter a video game (offline or online)

And when I disconnect, I won’t be able to reconnect, so I am forced to disable the wi-fi and re-enable it (in the network & internet settings). This sometimes lets me get access to the internet again, but a large majority of the time, when I disable the wi-fi I can’t re-enable it and I am forced to do a network reset which has me waiting for 5 minutes and then restarts my computer.

And again, it’s not always guaranteed that I’ll get internet after the restart

Megabotx7

Too general.
We don't know if you use a modem and router or a gateway, who your ISP is, if all devices disconnect or just one, and how devices are connected (wired wireless or a combination of both).

At this point, it could be a failing modem, a failing router, a bad ISP, a bad cable, a bad wifi card...or something else.
I believe we use a router. Not sure about ISP. Just my laptop, my iPad sits right next to it and is all fine. It's all wireless.

TerryNet

Terry
You are saying that the only problem is the laptop disconnecting from the wireless network? That most likely, IMO, is an incorrect wireless driver, a failing wireless adapter or wireless interference.

Megabotx7

You are saying that the only problem is the laptop disconnecting from the wireless network? That most likely, IMO, is an incorrect wireless driver, a failing wireless adapter or wireless interference.
Interesting, so what do you suggest I try out to fix the issue?

TerryNet

Terry
Install the latest correct driver--from the laptop manufacturer's web site if the adapter is integrated; from the adapter manufacturer's web site if external.

The probability of interference is reduced since the adjacent iPad is OK, but different adapters can have different sensitivity to interference. So, check for interference from other networks (inSSIDer is one tool) of try other locations (line of sight from router about 10-15 feet away is good). To get inSSIDer from that link I gave scroll to the bottom to skip all the attempts to get your money.

Megabotx7

Install the latest correct driver--from the laptop manufacturer's web site if the adapter is integrated; from the adapter manufacturer's web site if external.

The probability of interference is reduced since the adjacent iPad is OK, but different adapters can have different sensitivity to interference. So, check for interference from other networks (inSSIDer is one tool) of try other locations (line of sight from router about 10-15 feet away is good). To get inSSIDer from that link I gave scroll to the bottom to skip all the attempts to get your money.
Alright, so I updated everything I could from the laptop manufacturer's website (ASUS). I also installed inSSIDer, but I don't see any signs of interference. Also sitting in front of the router and allowing my laptop to be in the line of sight has done nothing besides give a stronger signal. Also, I have noticed that my internet disconnects not only when I launch video games but when I launch other programs as well sometimes

TerryNet

Terry
Have you tried using ethernet to make sure this is a wireless only problem?

Sounding mostly like a failing wireless adapter. If it is easily accessed through a small cover on the laptop bottom carefully remove and reinsert the card several times to remove any corrosion and make sure it is secure.

You may want to try a USB wireless adapter.

Megabotx7

Have you tried using ethernet to make sure this is a wireless only problem?

Sounding mostly like a failing wireless adapter. If it is easily accessed through a small cover on the laptop bottom carefully remove and reinsert the card several times to remove any corrosion and make sure it is secure.

You may want to try a USB wireless adapter.
Nah I haven’t tried using an Ethernet cable, I don’t believe we currently have one at hand anyways. My brother is getting a similar issue as to mine, so we’re thinking of getting a USB wireless adapter for him. I believe we may have found a fix tho for my laptop. It seems to be that the wi-fi was switching between 2.4 and 5.0ghz, and there was most likely issues cause of that. So I now have the wi-fi turned into a 2.4 and 5.0 ghz connection, so I can pick which one to use. And I’ve been using the 5ghz one so far, and all’s been good. I will notify you if anything else happens tho. Also if there is anything I’ve said that seems to be confusing or doesn’t make sense then just let me know, I ain’t that well advanced in technology.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online