1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Constantly downloading

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Cadeyrn, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cadeyrn

Cadeyrn Thread Starter

Feb 18, 2008
    A problem I had before that was gone and now has come back is my computer constantly downloading. I received an e-mail from my ISP telling me I have reached my quota, and I know I haven't downloaded that much, so I ran Wireshark, tracers, netstats, and whoises to find my computer is constantly downloading from nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net with no user-run internet programs open. This is exactly what happened the last time.

nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net is one of Google's servers, which is why this shocks me. Is some hacker pretending to be Google? Don't know, don't care, I just want them out of my computer. I don't have any Google-related programs running in the background, and there's no way that it's a virus because I'm running Linux, I have a tightly locked firewall, a tightly locked router that I periodically reformat in case of hackers, and I'm extremely good at knowing spam or virus sites/e-mails when I see them.

Whatever is going on, this connection/download to nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net is automatic and constant. When I reset my internet connection, it's still going on. Sometimes restarting my computer can fix it, but it just starts back up again later.

What happens to my computer when this happens? An even more annoying problem to add to my quota usage happens: my download speed's acceleration becomes +/- 10-100KB/sec with plenty of jerk, and it often jumps to 0 bytes/sec and stays there until I reload a page or pause and resume the download.

EDIT: That's interesting--when I block nuq04s01-in-f18.1e100.net with my firewall, I can still connect to Google just fine. Well, if I never find a solution to this problem, there's a good workaround.

EDIT2: Nevermind. If I block that server, It starts downloading from another one of Google's many many servers. Now it's a giant monster and I'm a little mouse.
  2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    You have malware, please wait for someone to assist you, I'll move you there.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/956753