1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Consumer Warning Thread

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Omega_Shadow, Jan 31, 2005.

Advertisement
  1. Omega_Shadow

Omega_Shadow Thread Starter

Lately I have noticed alot of electronic products that have been made haphazardly with poor workmanship and sub-standard componants.

Have you bought a product that is made so poorly that you cant use it? Please post it here so others at TSG dont make the same mistake.

First Item:
    Maxell Studio Series Dynamic Perfomance Headphones
    (HP-2000)
    Retail: ~ $40

Problem: Bought this product at Best Buy. Right out of the package the left speaker-cup did not produde sound. Best Buy did not have any more in stock so I sent the headphones back to Maxell's warenty department. They sent me a brand new par still in the packageing. One day later I placed the headphones on my head and the head-band broke. I can understand one bad pair. Two in a row, thats a poorly built product

2. cheese

cheese

Item: Plantronic Audio 90 Headset
    Price: $20 on special, regular $40.

Problem: Very comfortable, but after 2 months the microphone went dead. Happend to my friend who i purchased on for as well. Look up reviews on newegg and you will see plenty of the same. If only they could get that fixed...

3. hewee

hewee

Going to be a looooooong thread here that never ends. :D

4. Omega_Shadow

You got that right Hewee. Too many products on the market are complete crap. I hope with this thread we can help some members of TSG make better choices when going to buy electronics.

Item: Dynex 4-Port Ethernet Broadband Router
    (DX-E401)
    Retail: $39.99

Problem: Ever sence I got this thing it has never worked right. It interupts TCP and/or UDP depending upon what day it is. No matter what you program into its firewall nothing ever changes. When I called tech support they said, and I quote "You must be doing something wrong".

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

At least Best Buy has a decent return policy. They try to be human. Compusa has a return policy, don't try to use it because it is bogus.(n)

I hate that place.

6. cheese

cheese

I got their 2 year replacemnet warranty luckily, but the headset i have now is uncomfortable :(

7. Omega_Shadow

Out of curiosity why is the Compusa Return policy bogus? I prefer to shop there if I have a choice. If there is a problem with the policy I would like to know about it.

Compusa clearks usealy know what they are talking about unlike those morons at best buy. I remember a best buy salesman trying to tell me there is "No Differince" between a self-built computer and a Dell or compaq. Very close to hitting him upside the head.

8. hewee

hewee

Yep Omega_Shadow there is to much cheap junk out there now days.
    A product is made to be use for more then a day and by law it should last so long and there is the law the Fed's have but also what each state has. But read the warranty that comes with what you got and most will tell you that you may have other rights. But they don't tell you what those rights are. I bet that warranty in some states would have to last longer then what they tell you the warranty is but everyone would have to look up what the law is for the state they live in.

Here are some links.

http://www.shoppingspot.com/features/resolving.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=state+consumer+laws

9. Omega_Shadow

Thanx for the links Hewee. If Maxell doesnt respond to my e-mail I sent them I am defanatly going to report them... on to the next product:

Item: RCA 900Mhz Wireless Headphones
    (WHP140S)
    Retail: $59.99

Problem: Not only did these headphones only work within two meter radius of the antena (a far cry from the 100 feet the package boasts) but also have a horrable sound quality. I could not stand to listen to an entire song with them on. The manual tunning for the headphones and the antena makes for a great guessing game. Poorly thought out product

10. hewee

hewee

Your welcome Omega_Shadow and good luck.
    Some times you may get help tru the store you got what ever from so you can try there.
    I got a video card from PNY with a rebate. Did every right for the rebate but got post card saying no I could not get the rebate because it was not one of the Fry's stores that was able to get the rebate. There was no way to get a hold of anyone either by phone or the web. All you would get is your getting it or not. Will I took all copies down to Fry's and they have one person that deals with the rebates and she called them. She made copies of what I had and seen I was able to get the rebate too. Then a she called me a couple days later saying I would be getting the rebate and I got it about 3 weeks later. But it took almost 3 months to get the rebate from the time I first mailed it in. Longer then the time they tell you it would take.
    Just got 2 rebates from Norton for 30 and 40 $ that took less then 2 weeks from when I mailed them in so that was great and shows you that rebates do not need to take forever to be mail back to you.

11. MSM Hobbes

MSM Hobbes

Unfortunately, it seems that vast majority of consumers equate "value" w/ "inexpensive". Sorry, but in my warped mind, these are two totally different concepts. Go to Dollar General, Fred's, Wal-Mart, Venture, etc. and buy a cheap, inexpensive item that has a price tag of $25, for example. Go to a reputable store to buy a similar item, price is, say, $45. Different items, similar function, higher price. What so many people fail to take into account it the true cost of ownership - the cost per (expected) life of the product. Take D-cell batteries, for example. Cost of the cheap "heavy duty" will set you back a whopping 25 cents, each. Whereas a Duracell alky will cost ya ~3 times. Yet, life of that battery will be ~3 times longer, and also provide better results over that life, and have better construction [ie: less potential to leak acid]. Anyhow, that's my rant for the evening... ;) Just seems that quality of so many products is being "dumbed down", just to get cheaper price.

Here are a couple other links that may help...
    For safety alerts, and reporting a dangerous product: www.recalls.gov
    Past recalls can be found at: www.consumerreports.org

The Consumer Reports issue of November '04 [page 12-19] has a very good article concerning hazards in products, and why/how they are getting into the US marketplace, and even still being shipped overseas from here.

This article mentions also how even the UL tag/sticker is being counterfeited, meaning many electrical products that appear to have passed their standards are actually potentially unsafe.

Also, even the CPSC [Consumer Product Safety Commission], altho' overall a positive organization, is lacking of late in its enforcement of the products that people buy; staff and budget has evidently been cut - as imports and cheaper goods increase.

http://www.consumerreports.org/main...SSORTMENT<>ast_id=333147&bmUID=1107317654989#
    Here’s a story about a story, about how difficult it is for any of us, experienced reporters and consumers alike, to get basic information on products, some so hazardous that they’re not allowed on our store shelves.

Investigating for our November 2004 report on dangerous products (available to subscribers), our reporters followed the trail of items banned from sale in the U.S. because they didn’t comply with safety standards. They knew that the law seldom requires that the products be destroyed. So where do those items go? The reporters’ first stop: the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the federal agency responsible for protecting the public from serious injury or death from more than 15,000 consumer products. It took time and a lot of digging to piece together what happened. CPSC regulations and systems didn’t allow for speed.

It turns out that though unsafe products are banned from sale in the U.S., the law allows companies to send some goods to countries willing to take them. A manufacturer must notify the CPSC 30 days before exporting; the CPSC generally alerts officials in the recipient country that a dicey product is about to hit their shores. It’s up to that country to accept or reject the goods.

Ideally, you and I should be able to find out which products have been kept off the U.S. market, why, and what happened to them. But a lot of safety information is hidden under a mound of paperwork. Consumer Reports filed Freedom of Information Act requests with the CPSC seeking access to some of those records. Our reporters eventually obtained the commission’s export spreadsheets, but the agency couldn’t say what the exported products were or when and how they had been recalled without first notifying the manufacturers, as the law requires. The reporters tried to match export records with CPSC press releases about recalled models. But since the export records didn’t include model names, that was a challenge. They turned to the commission’s annual reports, which include actions it took each year. That’s when they discovered that most CPSC enforcement actions aren’t included in the recall press releases on the agency’s Web site: While consumers have been told about 5,252 public recalls since 1990, thousands more “corrective actions” have never been publicized.

More FOIA requests followed, this time for CPSC records of manufacturers’ letters of intent to export recalled products. That’s how our reporters at last confirmed that many of the exported products were the same products that had been recalled. Millions of hazardous goods, including children’s toys, cribs, and pajamas, had been shipped abroad, often to countries in Latin America and the Caribbean that lack the consumer protections that Americans take for granted. A safe and happy ending for kids in the U.S., but a potential tragedy for consumers around the world.

12. runnyooze

runnyooze

[​IMG] omg i keep waving to this head thing i want to squash it lol

13. runnyooze

runnyooze

you trying to give people headaches

14. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

15. jd_957

jd_957 Banned

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice