1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

contact defaults to outlook, not regular email reply box

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gemimi, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gemimi

gemimi Thread Starter

while in internet emplorer, at a website, I hit 'contact us' button and get a window that asks me to set up outlook express. This is new and not what we want. We used to get a regular email response window. We don't have outlook express installed or want to use it, just want the standard email reply window to pup in ready for my message. Any suggestions?

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

Hi gemimi

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

What e-mail client are you using?
    Outlook Express is already installed, no need for installation. Windows is looking for a default e-mail client.

Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab
    Click the drop down arrow for the E-mail: field.
    Here you can select the default e-mail client.

Have you installed new software since you noticed this change?

3. gemimi

gemimi Thread Starter

Hi there.. I am so new to this. sorry.

I'm Using AOL (not as a paying client with an account, just free usage) as my email server. Already went to Tools, internet options- Programs- email ('you can specify which program is used for each internet option') and, stuck in the field is Microsoft Outlook. I can not remove it, I tried. I suspect it needs to be removed so just a blank field shows. (earlier today it was blank, but I put ms outlook in there when I first ran into the problem of getting an error window which instructed me to SET UP Outlook Express. I regret that now. I just want to be connected to an email window box like usual. The other options in the drop down are: outlook express, windows live mail, AOL 9.0 , Microsoft outlook. I have tried all 4 options.. There is no Blank field option.

AOL 9.0 is for paying accounts, not me, so when I tried that one, I got an AOL window with error messages.

Outlook express is on computer... do not need to / want to use it.. I just want the regular reply email box to appear..

Does that help? I hope I explained it ok.. ---Julie

4. gemimi

gemimi Thread Starter

Hi, and no new software has been installed.

I did try to and successfully install internet explorer 6 this afternoon.. unfortunately with no improvement.

Julie

5. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Retired Moderator

No need to apologize, everyone is new at the beginning. :)

Internet Explorer is already installed, Outlook Express is part of Internet Explorer.
    How did you install Internet Explorer?

Were you using a different browser such as MSN Explorer?

When the e-mail reply window would appear, can you recall if there was anything in the reply window, in the title bar perhaps, that referred to the program name?

If you don't use Microsoft Outlook 2000, uninstall it, you will most likely need the CD. You don't need to uninstall the entire Office suite, just select Outlook.
    Once Outlook is uninstalled, the E-mail field should be blank.

Also check in System Restore for the most recent restore point.
    Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore > Next button
    Look for bolded dates in the Calendar and click on one of the most recent bolded dates to see what type of Restore point had been created.

How long have you been receiving this error when attempting to use a mailto: link?

6. gemimi

gemimi Thread Starter

Hi,

Great questions...

I downloaded IE 6 or 7 just the other day.. from the internet. No new programs have been installed.

I did a Restore to a month ago, and the field for email is now blank. Good, however, when I reply within an internet site, 'contact us' I still get outlook express window ready for my message, and not the regular email window. Nothing in the title bar, just Outlook Express.

I have always used Internet explorer.. not MSN.

I have uninstalled Microsoft Outlook, but outlook express was not in the list of programs within MS office.. So, yes, the IE connection is strong!

Have been reading articles on how to uninstall outlook express.. daunting.

Right now the email field is blank, and that's how it was when it was working correctly, I believe.

I hesitate to click the down arrow next to the email provider cause the options were only outlook express, microsoft outlook, AOL9.0, live mail.

thanks for looking this over.. any other ideas? Julie

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice