1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Contact list import into MS Mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by mike2111, Nov 9, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. mike2111

mike2111 Thread Starter

I friend has recently bought a new laptop, had his old one, and given it away. I have set the new one up for him, as he is unable to do it for himself, but have been unable to import his contacts/address book from the TalkTalk website, which hosts his lineone.net email address, the only means of sending and receiving emails using a contacts list. I have tried to import the contacts list into MS Mail without success, the import list includes Outlook etc., but I cannot find a way to import from TalkTalk – Google is on the import list so maybe that is the correct route. There is no provision to export a contacts list from TalkTalk. Can anyone help please.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit Version 1903

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5

Processor Count: 2

RAM: 3766 Mb

Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1755 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 306 GB (218 GB Free);

Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5742Z

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and UpdatedTech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU P6100 @ 2.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5

Processor Count: 2

RAM: 3766 Mb

Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1755 Mb

Hard Drives: C: 306 GB (218 GB Free);

Motherboard: Acer, Aspire 5742Z

Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

2. johnmaina0416

johnmaina0416

Have you tried to import using outlook? You can try outlook. choose file then choose import/export then choose import from other program or file then you import a file.

3. johnmaina0416

johnmaina0416

In talktalk sign in to talktalk,
    Select address book from address book
    choose my address book and by default is contacts

4. mike2111

mike2111 Thread Starter

Thank you for both suggestions - I will try them out when I get access to the laptop on Friday - one of them should work.

5. britekguy

britekguy

When you say MS Mail, are you asking the Windows 10 Mail App? If so, I have some instructions for importing contacts previously exported into the People App, which is the equivalent of Contacts under the Win10 Mail App. If you are using a Microsoft Account Linked Win10 User Account, then an Outlook.com account was created for you as part of that, though many don't know it. These instructions date from the 2016 time frame, so there may be an easier way now. I just don't use the Mail App or People App, but had to assist several people who wanted to do so back then.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Importing Contacts into the Windows 10 People App via Outlook.com

One cannot import contacts directly to the People app from a CSV file. However, if you visit https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/people you can import the contacts through manage option.

Follow these steps to get your CSV file of exported contacts imported into People via the Outlook.com “back door” method:

1) Visit https://outlook.live.com/owa and log in with the same Microsoft ID that you have synced, or wish to have synced, with the People app on your computer.

2) The above will have logged you into Outlook.com for the user ID that gets established when you create a Microsoft ID, but you’re still not in the People window. Either activate the People button on the Outlook.com main window or paste the following into the web address field then hit enter, and you’ll end up in the People window:

https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/people

2) Activate the “Manage” dropdown then activate “Import Contacts”

3) Make the selection appropriate for the e-mail client that you want to use to generate the CSV file of contacts that you’re going to Import. As of this writing the four that are presented are Gmail, Outlook 2010, 2013, or 2016, Yahoo Mail, Windows Live Mail. If you have some other e-mail client it will make no difference which of these choices you choose.

4) You will now be presented with a set of directions on how to export contacts from that e-mail client program into a CSV (comma separated values) file. Follow those if you’ve not already generated your CSV file before starting this whole process. Proceed to step 5 knowing where you’ve saved that CSV file you generated.

5) Activate the Browse button, navigate to your CSV file’s folder, select it then import the CSV file from your computer. The contacts should now be part of the Outlook.com People list. These will sync down to your computer during the next sync cycle.

Note: It might take some time for the contacts to be updated in the People app in your computer because a synchronization cycle needs to take place before they’re going to show up on your computer.

6. mike2111

mike2111 Thread Starter

thanks again for the very detailed instructions

7. britekguy

britekguy

You're quite welcome. Why Microsoft (at least way back when) didn't make it easy to import contacts into the People App I'll never know.

I do know that you can, under Settings in the People App, add in e-mail accounts to grant the People App access to the contacts for same, at least for specific e-mail providers. Then it will sync changes made either in People to that e-mail service's contacts list or vice versa when the changes are made on said contacts either on the web or via any client that can sync contacts.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235477

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice