Contact Management Software - Need help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smooth

Garrett
Hey everybody :D

Here at the office, we have been using Microsoft Access 2003 to manage our agents. It's worked pretty well, but we need something that will do more. Now, I'm not sure of the extent that Access can go into, so it may actually be able to do everything we need it to do.

What we need is contact management software that will allow us to set everyone up into groups. But we need to be able to set up users for the database. These users would have limited access, depending on who they are in the company. Also, we need something where we can attach resumes, files, etc. to it. We are currently using Access, and about 3 other programs to do various things.

I've taken a look at Act! 6, and it is almost perfect for what we want. The people can be put into various groups, and I can attach files right to those people for easy access. Almost perfect.

The problem is, Act doesn't allow me to set access to the groups. For example, when I was using Act, I would set up a hierarchy, to where the top group is the top guy, and each person under that person is a subgroup. That works perfect, except I need to be able to set it up where only certain people can see these groups. I can't do this with Act. :(

I've taken a look at some other programs as well, but Act is the closest thing I can find. Does anyone know of some really good Contact Management software that I can use? Or is Access capable of what I need it to do?

Thanks. :D

You can do this in Access if you know some VBA and set up a few additional tables and fields in existing tables. You will have to do some coding to restrict access to different groups, etc and it can get quite involved.

ACT will do the same thing and has user accounts you can set up and restric access to specific areas.

smooth

Garrett
Thanks for the reply. :D

The access we are using has some VBA in it right now. I know a little bit of VBA.

I tried Act, and the only problem was, I could never get to where I could restrict users from viewing my groups/companies. I called their tech support, and they said that there was no way to do this.

In the Act I was looking at, you had Companies and Groups. I need to have it where only certain users can even open up those sections. As in, my companies were my hierarchy of agents. I need it where only certain users can even see the companies listed.

I'm not sure if this is possible in Act though.

You can implement varying levels of Access's security features to get this done, though the learning curve is pretty substantial. Check out the link in my last post in this thread. I think it'd be the way to go if you want to keep the Access solution you already have in place.

HTH, good luck (y)

chris.

I agree with the others, this can be done in Access. You can create a field called group (or whatever) that you will use to restrict their viewing rights and then query for that group. Then use the query instead of a table for their view. You can set permissions up in the security. It depends on how advanced your users are on how far you will have to go to protect the other views, but if you split the database to restrict the view of the tables you should be able to do it quite nicely. The resumes can be done as a hyperlink to a word doc and made a field in the table, which would be visible to the proper groups only.

smooth

Garrett
coachdan32 said:
The resumes can be done as a hyperlink to a word doc and made a field in the table, which would be visible to the proper groups only.
That is a really good idea. :D I never thought about doing that. That would solve the problem with not having the resumes right there.

cristobal03 said:
Check out the link in my last post in this thread.
I'll check that link out Chris. Thanks. :D

It also keeps the DB from becoming as large. I would create a folder somewhere accessible and the n store them there. You can set the default value of the field to that folder path and just add the file names to the end as you create them.

smooth

Garrett
Didn't think about setting the default value like that. That's a really good idea. I was getting worried about how to link to the files easily. That seems to help in that aspect. :D

The only potential issue with hyperlinking is that it unsecures the hyperlinked file. Not agressively; Access just opens the file according to the file extension's default program. At that point control has shifted from Access to the opened application, so the file's content is unsecure unless the file itself has been secured.

That will very rarely be an issue, because you can disallow certain groups access to the hyperlinks. I just thought I'd mention it.

chris.

smooth

Garrett
Do you mean making it where the field with the hyperlinked resumes, or any hyperlinked document, be visible to only certain users?

The concept is you'd store the files' paths in a more secure table. Then you'd restrict access to that table, so untrusted users couldn't open the files. That's what I meant. Like just about everything else, the URLs for the hyperlinks in your database should be stored in tables.

Which coincides with CoachDan's suggestion.

chris.

If you use the query on the form, you can have a separate query for each view and give certain groups access to different views (queries). This can be controlled via a userID logon or group permissions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online