1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Contact Management Software Needed

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by DoubleHelix, Sep 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned Thread Starter

I'm looking for a non-e-mail, Contacts & Calendar-only alternative to Outlook. Something simple and light-weight that would synchronize with Google Calendar, perhaps. An online solution would be great too. I want it to store names, addresses (multiples, such as home and business), multiple phone numbers and e-mail accounts for each person, and I want birthday's to be both in the contact details and on the calendar. For something so simple, it's been very ellusive.....unless I'm not looking in the right place.

I've been searching around for a while, and I haven't found anything that strikes me. I'm open to suggestions.

2. Wino

Wino

ACT! (now by Sage) is what I've used for years. You can find it on sale for under $100. I know of nothing free. I also believe Quickbooks has a contact program (which I have but never used) so know nothing about it.

3. GLComputing

GLComputing

What are you looking to do with it?
    Why do you want online?

I also use ACT!... but it doesn't sync with Google cal at this time.

4. DoubleHelix

I want to be able to access my contact information from any computer with an Internet connection. Since e-mail documents, files, music, and hundreds of other apps are available online, it seems to make sense that a contact manager would be as well.

5. OBP

OBP

I have Access Versions, if you have Access 2000 or later you could get web access via an Data Access page.

6. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

Get a PDA or smartphone

7. DoubleHelix

I suppose I could write my own, but I'm surprised something like this isn't available.

I already have a PDA, but I don't like carrying around yet another device, and smartphones are expensive. Why pay $60+ a month just for contact information?

8. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Is this of any use?
    "New in Outlook 2007, is calendar publishing. This feature allows you to email all or part of your calendar, or publish it to the Internet or any a WEBDAV server. Right click on the name of the calendar you wish to share to see these options. Microsoft currently offers free publishing to their Office Online website. See Share Calendars with Local Users using Internet Publishing to learn how to publish the calendar to your own WEBDAV server.

Some of the tools for synchronizing Outlook data via the Web also allow other people to access the information. You can use the Yahoo and MSN/Hotmail calendars to share your appointments with others. Intellisync is available for Yahoo and MSN Premium users can use the Outlook connector to sync their appointments with the web based calendar.

Many of the solutions listed on this page will allow you to share all Outlook data"

Full article here:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.asp

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

While you could go that route, with a full PDA with TouchScreen+SmartPhone Capabilities+Data Plan, all a SmartPhone really means is a phone with the ability to perform basic PIM functions and sync that information with a PC. Pretty much any phone can do that these days.

10. GLComputing

GLComputing

ACT! has a Web version, or you could just use Handheld Contact, which puts the ACT! data on a Blackberry or Windows Mobile phone.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/753709

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice