1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

contacts not lost, but contacts files no longer available in live mail client

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by agripinna, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. agripinna

agripinna Thread Starter

I think I agreed to an update of live mail a couple of nights ago. The live mail client looks COMPLETELY different, probably good (who knows), but first thing was that when I typed in a name I use frequently to send messages to (which usually just brings up the address) nothing happened, so I pressed the "to" field, which usually brings up my list of contacts where I can search and found that there are no contacts; then I tried opening contacts (from bottom left pick options) and it simply will not open.

My contacts are still there - I can see them from my hotmail account on the web. How do I get them back into my new, improved version of the mail client!??

Thanks

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I started your own thread for you here.

Just to confirm, this was an update to Windows Live Mail 2011?

3. agripinna

agripinna Thread Starter

thank you

I'm sorry to be vague, but I really don't know - I've used hotmail for more than a decade, and have improvised around the client software versions from time to time. What's installed on my computer now seems to be the "live essentials" suite (if that's the right term) - essentials to me is hotmail, and I may have recently opted out of messenger among other things...who can keep track?

I am set up for MS auto updates, and don't know whether this was part of that, I assumed so when asked and probably said yes when I shouldn't have. I have multiple email accounts, and access all but one of them in "hotmail" (as I think of it - several actual hotmail accounts, one for my own domain email), one (for a main business account) in Outlook. Perhaps I should have them all in Outlook, but I want to keep them separate, which is easy in hotmail/live mail, and the last time I tried in Outlook (which was admittedly a few years ago), not possible.

So SHORT ANSWER: I have hotmail/live mail client that I have been using for a long time, but do not know whether it is (or was before I updated it) "Windows Live Mail 2011".

thanks if you have a clue...

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If your client now looks like my attachment click on the "thing" that I've circled and then on "About" and you will get the details. For most applications you click on Help and then About to get those details.

Attached Files:

5. agripinna

agripinna Thread Starter

this is the version on my "about" (as you say, what you used to get from help/about):
    Version 2011 (Build 15.4.3502.0922)

(slightly different from the build in your screen, 15.4.3508.1109)

6. agripinna

agripinna Thread Starter

think I figured this out (using MS forum) - you have to sign in to MS Live MESSENGER as well as hotmail for contacts to be visible - think I'm going to have to scrap live mail client, as I do not want or need the heavy social networking environment. Oh for the good old days of Outlook Express...

Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/995559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice