1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

content advisor help.

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by thornabygirl, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thornabygirl

thornabygirl Thread Starter

Hi, can any1, let me no how i can change this so i can view what i want on the web without it asking me for supervisors password, please.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi,
    I am trusting you that you are on your own computer, not a parental thing?

Try this

3. thornabygirl

Hi, Byteman, Yes its my computer, but as i am new to all of this i must av done it by acident, i still dont understand what you mean, iv gone on to tools, internet options, secunity, but i am stuck after that. again iv tryed and tryed but i am frightend i do something else to computer, all i want to know is how to stop it asking me for the password before i go on the site i want to be on, can you help me with this?

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You have to click on one of the links on the page under "Free Download from". And then run the program.

5. Byteman

Hi, DoubleHelix is correct, on the page that comes up, there is a list of server locations, just pick any server there, then the download box will come up, save the download to the desktop.

The file is a utility that will let you disable the Content Advisor- I've had my son enable one on his computer to "protect" his girlfriend, and I found a solution by working in the Windows Registry, trust me, this download is a lot safer!

Says you have to close Internet Explorer, all IE windows you may have open including this forum one...when all the Internet Explorer windows are closed, hit Delete in the small box to get rid of the password.

if it is the Content Advisor that is stuffing things up ('scuse me I dont know if that is proper in talking with a gal...I'm from NY....heh) it should be fixed.

Hope that helps!

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you forgot your Supervisor Password for the Internet Explorer, you can remove it by:

1. Starting Regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies
    3. Delete the Ratings key

7. thornabygirl

8. thornabygirl

Thanku so much for telling me in detail how to disable the content advior,as soon as i read your post i tryed it,i never done it right the first go, but read word from word what you told me to do,and it worked, THANKS SO MUCH, BYTEMAN, Regards from thornabygirl.

9. thornabygirl

thankyou for lettin me know how to disable content advisor, but id already,trying out what BYTEMAN told me to do, but thanks anyway, Regards from thornabygirl.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Good job. Now you know exactly what that little utility is doing. Just deleting a certain registry key.

11. Byteman

Hi thornabygirl, You are welcome! Stop by anytime....you can mark your thread solved, if you feel it is, by using the Thread Tools button at the top of a page. I will this time! (y)

12. thornabygirl

Byteman, HI, its thornabygirl, can you see if iv done what you asked me to do / theards solved. again its the first time iv even done that if iv got it right, no1 as told me how to do that, again THANKS.

13. Byteman

Hi, Yes, it is marked Solved.... I will delete the Solved as I have the feeling we will have work to do!

Why don't you post about what you Private Messaged me earlier today and we will see if we can help....never mind, I will paste the important part from your PM>

Quote from your PM: "I was going to update to MICROSOFT- WINDOWS XP SERVICE PACK UPDATES, BUT HALF Way through the download comes back saying it carnt download do you know why? or can you please explain what it is i may be doing wrong? the other thing if dont mind, is- when i am vewing any website,or on the computer, a MESSAGE IN GREY COMES UP AND SAYS, CORRUPTED AND NEEDS TO BE CLEANED,DOWNLOAD REGISTRY FILES. IF I DONT TAKE ACTION NOW. I COULD COURSE DAMAGE TO MY COMPUTER IT NEEDS TO BE DONE IMMEDIATELY. THE SITE ITS TELLING ME TO GO TO IS w.regwinclean. com). but i seen on one off your posts to someone else page, a couple of downloads so i wrote them down,hope you dont mind,? well could you please advise me which to download to stop me ever getting into trouble on the internet, <free ones if poss> THANKU SO MUCH AND I HOPE YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING YOU, REGARDS THORNABYGIRL"

Well that message that popped up was not anything legitimate, its a popup ad, and it would take you to a download which will install something you do not want into your computer. So, I think we should actually have you post a Hijackthis log, it is the first step we do to help those who may have virus, worm, spyware infections...and there is a very good chance your computer does.

We will also post what downloads for you to get, that clean out and help prevent this stuff from getting in.

I would like to ask that you please take time typing, so that your posts are more readable.

Let's have you post a log from Hijackthis and maybe we can spot anything out of place:

go to Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
    • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
    • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
    • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Additional Tasks dialogue.
    • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
    • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
    • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then save the log and then the log will open in Notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • Paste the log in your next reply.
    • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    _ _

14. t3chguy.org

t3chguy.org

Nope, this is probably just a messenger window (not window$ mess, m$n mess, live mess, but the service which was stupidly enabled by default until XP sp2).
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/security/learnmore/stopspam.mspx
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

Disabling the messenger service makes the problem go away.
    And a firewall is also not a bad idea.

15. Byteman

Hi t3chguy.org,

Thanks for your input. It's a popup ad, regardless of how it comes....
    and it does redirect you to a fake scanner, which can install malware. I'm trying to see if the poster here has been already infected.... I've seen them on older PC's through winpopup, so it's not an XP issue alone.

The popup thornabygirl was seeing, redirects to another site and will install a fake "registry cleaner" that is something you do not want!

Just waiting for a reply from you thornabygirl.... post a Hijackthis log.

IF it is a Windows Messenger popup, it will say so at the top of it's grey window, so thornabygirl will have to let us know if that is what she is getting....

She can get Shoot the Messenger

to take care of the fake popups, I agree it should be disabled...so, thornabygirl, you should go get this download, and run Shoot the Messenger, which will keep you and others using your computer from even seeing these fake messages and clicking on them.

Here is Rogueremover free which will find and remove, lots of these fake programs, in case anyone wants to check for any!

""RogueRemover has the ability to completely remove WinAntiSpyware/WinAntiVirus, SpyAxe, VirusBlast, VirusBursters and many more!

Simply download RogueRemover from the one of the links below, unzip the file, and run the installer. Start the program and select Scan and the program will walk you through the remaining steps.

Compatible with Windows 2000, NT, XP""

We can also use our usual scans and tools for that.

If the poster comes back, we will be able to see if there is anything to do with the Hijackthis log and possibly have other things for her to do.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice