1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Context menu - adding items

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kb-r, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kb-r

kb-r Thread Starter

Hi all.

WinXP Home.

How can I add "Select All" to the right click context menu in Windows Explorer? (I'm fairly certain I had this with Win98, but in any case it would be very useful.)

Regards

kb-r

2. bingo24

bingo24

See if something here helps http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1838907,00.asp

and this from www.kellys-korner.com -quoted

Context Menu - Customizing Windows Explorer Context menu (right click menu in windows explorer)

Ever wondered how does the right click menu (which is actually a context menu) work? For example, when I right click in windows explorer, I see an option which says "open command window here". This is seen because you have following entries in the registry.

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd]
    @="Open Command Window Here"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\cmd\command]
    @="C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k cd "%1""

If You have never used a tweaking utility and have newly installed Windows XP, You would not see this option. You would have to navigate to [[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive] go and create two subkeys ("cmd" and within that "command" and would have to put the text "Open Command Window Here" without quotes in default string value of "cmd" key and the text "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe /k CD"%1"" without quotes in default string value of command key). After this You need to REBOOT for these changes to take effect.

3. kb-r

kb-r Thread Starter

Thanks, bingo24.
    I shall play around with those and see where I get.

kb-r

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!