1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Context menu items and Recycle bin deletion

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by johnparrin, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnparrin

johnparrin Thread Starter

Hello,

I have two questions:

1. I have created an executable that extracts archive files. I would like to create a context menu item to extract files with this exe. I do not want an 'open with' entry, what I would like would be a context menu item 'Extract' on archived file types (.zip, .tar, etc.) that opens the file with my executable. Is this possible and how should I proceed?

2. Is there a way (3rd party is OK, but I would prefer not to keep an extra application running all the time) to automatically delete items when they have been in the recycle bin for n days? I have seen some batch files that do this, but they seem to be based on date modified, not the date I put the files into the Bin. I also have googled for this and found some utilities that would do it, but most are bloated and add all sorts of features to the recycle bin I do not want to have. What would be a lightweight and efficient way to automatically do this?

Thank you very much for you time, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. kniht

kniht

For question #1 try this:

Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell

Right-click on “shell” and choose to create a new key, naming it Extract.

Double click on the Default value in the right hand pane and enter the path to your executable. Be sure to enclose the path in quotation marks - "C:\Program Files\...".

You may have to leave a space at the end of the path and type "%1":

"C:\Program Files\...\..." "%1"

3. johnparrin

johnparrin Thread Starter

Thanks For The reply. Unfotunately, your what you suggested adds this option for all filetypes. I would like it to be only for some filetypes.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/929605

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice