1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

context menus popup intermittently

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gwadstory, Apr 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gwadstory

gwadstory Thread Starter

My problem is similar to another thread I found: The context menu (right-click menu) pops up on its own. The menu I get depends on the active window. It may be the desktop, browser, or any other application. If it has a context menu, that menu will pop up on its own.

This is an intermittent problem. Sometimes I can go for days with no problem. Other times the menu will pop up so rapidly that I cannot complete two keystrokes. Sometimes it will pop up a couple times per hour. Other times it will pop up a hundred times a minute. Sometimes the problem will go away on its own after a few minutes. Sometimes it persists for hours and even days.

I have disabled the internal mouse and it makes no difference.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3951 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 540v, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 287533 MB, Free - 217849 MB; F: Total - 2035 MB, Free - 1421 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1471
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Have you tried using a different mouse?

3. gwadstory

gwadstory Thread Starter

Yes, I have tried 2 different external mice, and still I have the same problem. I have also cleaned the keyboard with compressed air, turned the laptop upside down for a good shaking--nothing seems to work after a period of time. In other words, it's hard to know if anything works even for a short time because the problem is so intermittent. I can go hours with no problems, then suddenly the menus start popping up with no warning!

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. gwadstory

gwadstory Thread Starter

I downloaded it and saw/see no keys sticking during the popups. Here is something else I forgot to mention: Sometimes when I left click (on anything) nothing will happen unless I right click (of course a right-click menu pops up) and then return to the left click. It works then. As I said earlier, the entire problem seems to be intermittent; in fact, it went away the last couple of days and then just returned with a vengeance making it even difficult to type this entry!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice