1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Context/Shell Menu and Copy Function Missing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by witakr, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. witakr

witakr Thread Starter

For some reason for as long as I have had this computer I have not been able to right-click anything in the Start Menus(No Context Menus in Start Menu) and for some reason I cant copy any text, I havnt tried to copy anything other than text yet.. Any ideas??

T.I.A.
    J

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Taskbar properties, Start Menu customize, Enable Dragging & Dropping. See if that helps.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Run regedit and see what policies are in place. There's one that disables the context menu for the taskbar and start button -- but I don't think it affects other start menu context.

User Key: [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\
    Explorer]
    Name: NoTrayContextMenu
    Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
    Value: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

also:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer]
    "NoViewContextMenu"=dword: 00000001

Also go to start > run and enter:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

This affects some context menu functions I believe.

4. witakr

witakr Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I didn't have the Enable Dragging and Dropping checked.

Its like, "Why isn't the blender working?!" "You have to plug it in first" "Doh!"

me = goober

thanks,
    j

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

LOL. Thanks for letting us know. That check can get mysteriously removed sometimes, probably by "tweakers".

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/525755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice