1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Contiguous Disk Space Needed

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by L Henry, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

Running Windows 2000 Pro - 256 RAM -5GB Hard drive. I need to increase the contiguous disk space on the hard drive. There is 1.50 GB of free space available, but the largest contiguous space is 112MB after defragging in safe mode. I need 450 MB or more of contiguous disk space to properly install Norton GoBack.

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I assume you have already done the obvious cleanup like deleting temp files, history, system restore points, etc. There are a couple of other things that might help.

Disable hibernation and delete your hiberfil.sys file. Also disable virtual memory, reboot, and then delete your pagefile.sys. Defrag again. When done, re-enable virtual memory and set it to a fixed size about 1-1/2 times the amount of RAM you have. (Windows will recreate the pagefile).

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can also run a 3rd party defrag utility, and you can use Contig v1.53 to defrag files that can't be done by the standard Windows utility. Truthfully, I'd be more inclined to use a real disk imaging utility and forget about GoBack, it's frequently a very troublesome application.

4. L Henry

L Henry Thread Starter

How do I : (1)disable Hibernation and (2) locate hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys. I have no experience working with system files. Is there high risk that I will disable my system?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Control Panel, Power Options, Hibernate tab. uncheck Hibernate.

I wouldn't delete the paging file, since more than once I've seen XP get confused if it had one and it was deleted.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!