1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Continous PC Shut Down

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by kidwiththeshoes, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kidwiththeshoes

kidwiththeshoes Thread Starter

Hello everybody! I'm running on a Windows 7 32 bit system, self built. Before I go into explain all of the details, here are my computer specs:

[​IMG]

My computer has been crashing a lot recently. It never use to happen, it just started within the past month or so. It's not a BSOD, there's no error, no warning.. Just black. When I start up, it's like nothing ever happened. But it's really annoying, whenever I begin to render a video, it crashes almost every time. It also stopped a few times while I was trying to play games and record, but I have recorded in the past. My computer use to be at it's prime but I don't know what changed. I could really use some advice to fix this. Any suggestions would help, I'm really wanting to render up all the footage I have.
    I do a lot of video game recording on my PC, I use the program bandicam. Also, my PC doesn't seem to be suffering from overheating, as the harddrive stays cool when it crashes.

Side note: I keep about 50gb free space open on my computer to avoid extra errors :C

Much obliged :) Feel free to move this to a better-fit topic, I'm not 100% sure of where it's suppose to go.

2. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

So it goes black but the PC is still running and fans are spinning?

3. kidwiththeshoes

No, everything goes off. No restart, no nothing.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Try checking the temps

Try this

Download and install hwmonitor
    and see what the temps etc are. Download the 1.19 setup, english on the righthand side.
    ....take a reading when not running the game or programs CPU(core) and GPU Video card and post them. (Just a screenshot of results is fine)

Then run the game or any other intensive program for awhile and take another reading post the results

5. kidwiththeshoes

I shall post you both of the pictures. Let me close down everything.

6. kidwiththeshoes

Here is my PC, literally running nothing but my antivirus:
    [​IMG]

This is my PC, I'm running a browser, a Minecraft server, Minecraft, and Skype.
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I retook the picture after everything had been running for about 10-20 minutes.

7. Megabite

Megabite

Maybe there is a setting to turn the PC off if the CPU get to a certain temp in Bios. If you take a look do not set it higher but just investigate.

8. kidwiththeshoes

Alright, well I have plans to dust out the old rig. It has been forever since this dust has moved an inch. I will let you know how that is. Also, I'm replacing the power supply, I just got a new nice 450W power supply that I plan to hook up. Same voltage and all, but this one looks really nice and new. Beats mine for sure. Any more suggestions are much appreciated :)

9. kidwiththeshoes

I have news! I cleared out all my fans, my entire computer of dust. I wasn't expecting it to run so well, but I have been rendering all day and it hasn't delayed once. Considering uploaded a very highquality video to test it out. I really hope this does it, though :)

10. Megabite

Megabite

OK lets see a screen shot of the temps again...do some rendering first as your CPU was quite warm before.

11. norubit

norubit

It could be one of a few things

- over heating caused by dust in fans / thermal paste under CPU dried up
    - BSOD (even though you are not seeing a BSOD it maybe happening as Microsoft made it automatically restart)
    - Power supply

If it is over heating i would:

- download pass mark burn in test (30 day trial)
    - download speed fan and monitor temps while running pass mark burn in test

- Clean out all dust from in computer and fans
    - Purchase thermal paste from you computer shop and remove old paste and put new paste on

and to see if it is BSOD:

- Right click my computer
    - Properties
    - Advance Tab
    - Startup and recovery
    - uncheck automatic restart

if it is the power supply:

- do all of the above, if it is still doing it, it may be power supply if you have a spare try putting it in and trying it / replace it or see your computer guy if you can't figure it out.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056952

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice