1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Continous R being printed in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dingo69, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dingo69

Dingo69 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Well not sure if this is the right area for this but not really sure what the problem is.

When I boot my PC during the bootup dos stage I hear my PC making noises, it still boots up Windows 7 ok but as soon as I open something I get continious R type accross my screen, If I hit the caps lock it changes from R to r.

Thought it was my keyboard having the R locked down so tried to fix it, no luck. Changed keyboards with my spare one no luck. Disconnect all keyboards no luck.

So where is this R coming from, its impossible to us my PC at the moment as soon as you click somewhere (word, exel, Google etc) an R/r appears.

Any ideas where to start?

2. Sponsor

3. huggie54

huggie54

Hiya,if you need to use a keyboard to try and sort this use the on- screen keyboard,look in device manager any yellow ! or red Xs in there,try updating drivers for keyboard,or uninstall from here,reboot letting your machine reinstall automatically,any change?

4. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

PS2 keyboard, or USB?

If PS2, then I'd be wondering about a bad keyboard controller on the motherboard.

In any case, I'd be trying to remove and reinstall any and all keyboard drivers present in the system.

5. Dingo69

Dingo69 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

First its a USB logitech keyboard. Will uninstall all drivers and see what happens, but on bootup I can hear the beeps as if something is pushing down a key while booting up but have check and there is nothing, so not sure what removing drivers will do.

I have already tried disconnecting the keyboard, booting the PC without a keyboard and but no help, as soon as I click on a field that allows input it starts printing R.

6. dustyjay

dustyjay Jay

If this is happening during boot up before windows is booted as well, then it is most likely a hardware problem. If it is doing it with other keyboards connected, I would suspect a motherboard problem. Perhaps if you posted your system specs, Make and Model System if Big box (Dell, HP/Compaq, Acer, etc....) or same if custom or home built for Motherboard, Processor, Power Supply, etc....

7. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Does the system have a PS2 keyboard jack?

8. antech

antech Banned

Any key pressed down??
    Jokeware?
    Many a times viruses(especially spywares-->Jokewares) annoy us

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917905