1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Continous system shutdown

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cruzid, Feb 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cruzid

cruzid Thread Starter

PC
    1 year old +
    Amd Duron processor
    512 ram
    Cpu temp average 35-39 degrees celcius
    System temp average 28-31 degrees celcius

I been experiecing a strange problem. When I turned on my computer couple of days ago, it shutdown with no warning and seemed to be a power failure. I pressed the power button to turn it back on,but it didn't do anything until a few min later. After exactly 3-5 min, whatever the system is doing (in bios, disk checking due to illegal shutdowns, windows start up ) it just shutsdown and restarts again after a few min. There is barely anything I can do except hope it would stay on longer than 5 min.I could hardly make it to windows start up since it shutdown even before I can shut it down the normal way.

Iam really unsure at this point my first guess was the processor overheating so I purchased arctic silver to lower its temperature.I cleared the cmos, and unplug and replugged mostly everything, and cleaned the fans since they were quite clogged up with dust . For most of the day I observed it shutdown and restart by itself continously. I finally tried to shut it down normally and skipped checkdisk so it can rest.

I appreciate any help you guys can offer.
    Thanks in advance

2. Big-K

Big-K

Is it a problem with the power supply? And are you sure that all the components(ram, video card, hard drives, etc) are completely plugged in? One of them might have become unseated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!