1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Continual corruption of (multiple) new drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boswell255, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boswell255

boswell255 Thread Starter

Bit of a strange one this, at least I couldn't, find any one else with this problem here or elsewhere.

About a year ago my 4 year old pc was on its last legs. Constant freezing and blue screens, with reported bad sectors on the drive. So I replaced the drive. Everything worked fine for about 6 months until the same thing started happening again. I decided to ghost it, and bought a new 1 tb drive (twice capacity of the old one). It worked for about a day before corrupting again.... I didn't want to take it back ,as it was now the only thing holding all my data. So I accepted a loss, bought another new drive, and did a brand new clean install on a brand new 1tb hard drive. And now, I'm in the same situation. A few days ago, things slowed down. Playing games like AC 3 and Skyrim, and everything was taking forever to load, followed by a few minutes of normal play, then either a bsod, or more freezing, resulting in me closing the application via task manager. This went the same for simple web browsing or watching videos. Everything would be fine, then freezing, and the hard drive would go silent. When it started making noise again, things would work again. Until yesterday, when this would happen almost constantly, every 30 seconds or so.

So here I am now. Completely unable to start windows (apparently bootmgr is corrupt, and the bootrec.exe /fixmgr did not work).

Should I buy yet another hard drive? This would be the 4th brand spanking new drive if I did.
    Is something wrong with another component, psu, mb, or even the cable, that is causing every new drive I buy to die, sometimes almost instantly? I have absolutely no idea what could be causing so many drives to corrupt! It,s infuriating.
    I thought I was more tech savvy than to suspect a virus to be capable of this (one that hides itself in the bios...lol) but I,m starting to wonder....

Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated.

Additional details. The latest hard drive to die, was very noisy from day 1, with clicks, moans and groans being common. The previous drives were virtually silent, until the very end, when they started clicking like satan's castanets. Not sure if this could be related.
    Also the current status, after running startup recovery a few times, is windows begins "loading files"before "an unexpected I/o error" occurs, also telling me that a failing hard drive can cause this. No sh!t Sherlock.

Thanks in advance

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you testing any of these drives? Each manufacturer has a diagnostics to test the drives. Also each manufacturer has a warranty procedure, where you can can send back a verified faulty drive and they will send you a replacement drive. No need to continually keep buying new drives. If a drive is faulty from day one take it back or mail it back to the place of purchase.

But you are either having really back or you have something in your system that's causing the drives to fail. How are your temps? Is there proper air circulation around the drive? What are the full and complete system specs of your computer and what power supply do you have? Maybe you have a bad SATA cable, SATA port on the motherboard, or SATA power cable, try switching all of those and see if you get better results.

3. boswell255

boswell255 Thread Starter

Thanks triple6
    I will at some point look into sending the drives back, although I'm trying to hold on to the data if I can, for cloning. The last 3 drives to fail, one 500gb which lasted 6 months, one 1tb drive (made in 2011) which died in a day, and another 1 tb drive (2010, old stock I'm guessing) were all made by Hitachi. Running the diagnostic tools will be tricky as I'd need access to another pc, but I'll try and sort that in the next week.

As far as specs...from memory: 500w psu, nvidia gt550, maudio delta 66 sound card, 4 gb of ram, intel core 2 duo (I think) 2.6ghz.

and ventilation....lol, well... I've had the side of the case off for about 2 years, although I keep it fairly dust free....not best practice I know, but....anyway the side got bent out of shape and the fan on it, err, ceased to function (after I cut the wire with scissors, sick of it rattling....this caused the PC toinstantly shut down. This was years ago though.) if anything though I would have thought the gfx card would die from bad temps. before the hdd....could be wrong.

I had suspected the SATA cables the second last time it did this, and on installing the new drives, bought a new SATA cable. So pretty sure that's ruled out. The SATA port however...not so sure. Does the primary drive need to be connected to SATA port 1 to function? I may try in another port if and when I get a new drive.

I'm very tempted at this point to buy a new system, clone the drive across if I can and sort it that way, but...finances. Also I don't know how we'll an old image of a drive will take to a brand new system with different mobo and things, assuming it clones at all, given that its probably corrupt.

Also I believe I got my dates wrong in the OP, the current drive is actually only 4-5 months old, not 6+. Just to emphasise how young these poor things were before they were snuffed out.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Cloning one system to another may not work if the chipset/SATA controller is different or in different mode. But especially with the problems you are having it would be best to start fresh if you did get a new system.

With modern systems and SATA you can use any port you like and then just make sure the boot order is correct.

What brand and model number is the power supply?

HW Monitor can be used to monitor the temps and voltages: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

5. gurutech

gurutech

I've had bad luck with Hitachi drives... Go with Western Digital or Seagate, those tend to last a LOT longer, and are easier to deal with for warranty issues. They will send you a replacement drive first, then give you 20-30 days to send the old one back, which is more than enough time to migrate data.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!