Continual Disk Access? Why?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KristopherRo

Hi all --

And, through this, keep in mind that I'm accustomed to (don't laugh) WinME. My old hag of an ME laptop finally died and I'm now running an XP Home (v5.1 sp2) machine now.

Regardless of whether or not I'm actively using my computer, it keeps accessing my HDD. I've turned off the "Allow Index Service to index this disk..." option on the drives. I've disabled the Indexing Service (from the control panel >> administrative >> services panel), but lsass.exe, csrss.exe, tablet.exe (my tablet driver), and WMP54GSv1_1.exe keep on ticking upwards.

Any thoughts? Suggestions and guidance greatly appreciated.

Yours,
-Kristopher Robert

I received this info from the WinTasks Process Library

lsass - lsass.exe - Process Information
Process File: lsass or lsass.exe
Process Name: Local Security Authority Service

Description:
lsass.exe is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: lsass.exe also relates to the Windang.worm, W32.Spybot.ABDO, irc.ratsou.b, Webus.B, MyDoom.L, Randex.AR, Nimos.worm which spread via floppy disk drives, mass-mailing and peer-to-peer sharing. Check the path to verify it’s legitimate.

I would update your anti virus and spyware and run a full system scan in safe mode.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts