1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

continually Rebooting pc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hypnotic, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hypnotic

hypnotic Thread Starter

my pc reboots between the winXP initialization and the welcome screen, i booted to my backup drive and all works fine, but i still cant boot to my primary drive, so i know its an XP problem and not in BIOS or something to do with cooling or my processor (as AMDs are notorious for this type of problem) any ideas?

2. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

this might be a long shot but heck. Do you hav antivirus softwr loaded on your backup drive ? If so, I would try runnin a thorough scan of ur Primary boot drv fron the other hard disk. Be sure your antivirus defs are up to date befor doin so. If all seems okay after the scan then you might try chekin the voltages from the psu that are connected to the primary hardisk that is havin trouble booting. With a digital VOM they should read within 5-10% of +12 (yel), +5 (red). Or, you can simply interchange the 2 pwr connectors between the bakup and Primary Drv and then try rebooting. Post bak here and let us know what u find.

3. dzones

dzones

if the above does not work..

usually in that time frame between windows and the welcome screens is when your drivers are being loaded
    I would try going into safe mode and seeing if anything looks out fo place with your hardware and then try turning everything off in your startup screen (type msconfig at the run prompt).

You may have to systematically re-load each driver starting with the video.
    ttry downloading all the latest srivers for your hardware if you can.

Like rusty said I also had a problem with my NAV and had to actually disable it at startup or else my system would not boot into windoes for longer than a efw seconds.

good luck

4. mobo

mobo

Download this and do a complete scan of your system from the operational drive. make certiain to include the unbootable system in the scan.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!