1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Continues to reset at startup - vista cd does not repair

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by x-treme, Mar 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x-treme

x-treme Thread Starter

Hello All,

I have had an ongoing issue which I am finally asking for help with.

Several weeks ago I turned on my laptop and I was unable to get passed my Dell bootup screen without it reseting. Needless to say, I fixed the issue by running the vista cd and clicking 'repair starup', which it did. After a few days, the issue would come back and I would simply 'repair startup' and i'd be back in business.

I was tired of constantly doing this so I decided to reformat. After installation of a fresh copy, I installed Itunes, MSN, and firefox. I rebooted. I then ran windows update (all 49 new ones required) and installed those as well. After I restarted to update the configuration I was faced with a system32 error asking me to 'configure to previous working settings', which I reluctantly did. Unfortunately, immediately after I reseted the machine again I can not pass the microsof logo which indicates it's loading the operating system without the system reseting. I ran windows startup repair once again hoping it would fix things and it said it could not fix the registry.

I have now ran the OS in safemode, installed several virus scanners and found nothing.

What the heck is going on? What else can I do to repair this?

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I think you should have done all of the updates before install itunes, MSN and Firefox.
    Also you might even want to ONLY install some of then NOT ALL at the same time.

Have you added any hardware, as these restarts can be hardware related?

3. x-treme

x-treme Thread Starter

Well, I've just noticed something new.
    The automatic restart occurs only when I click 'restart', because after I powered off the pc and shut down the OS, I was able to load the OS just fine upon powering it back up. When running, I tested it again - I clicked shutdown and it then powered on and OS loaded. When running, I simply restarted and the consistent cycle of reseting occurred. So this only happens when I do a restart and not a manual reboot.

4. unbidden

unbidden

Check the Event Viewer for a clue as to the problem. Click the Windows Orb on the bottom left - in the window type eventvwr.msc

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/1bcadb98-7479-4fad-82dd-7f30a80dfa4f1033.mspx

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Remove ALL external devices and give it a try. If all works the add one at a time and test by rebooting. When it fails is may be that device and driver.

6. crackster

crackster

i dont think this will address ur problem but as said ur using a dell system

hit into the bios menu and check if evry thing is set to default things which would be already mentioned there
    specially sata and flash

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!