1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

continuous 3 long beeps after DDR memory misinsertion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rosmet, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rosmet

Rosmet Thread Starter

Hi all,

My desktop used to worked fine only a little bit slow--256 MB SDRAM memory only. Recently I decided to upgrade it to 1GB with a DDR one (Samsung, 184 pin, unregistered, unbuffered, and low density, which is exactly OK for this computer). Unfortunately, I mistakenly inserted the DDR in the wrong way, i.e, switched the back and the front! The separated "Keyed" does not affect the insertion! (SDRAM should never have this problem because you can clearly see the match). The first time I turned on the power, there was one beep and no other signals to the monitor. I turned off the power, reinserted the memory, and turned on the power again, from then on I can hear continuous 3 long beeps separated by a little big longer pause. I then pulled out the new DDR, inserted back the old SDRAM, and I got the same 3 long beeps. Anyone who knows how to fix it please help! Thank you! Rosmet

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Hi friend...Well those beeps are a BIOS diagnostic that informs you about a component failure...The beep codes vary between different makes/models of motherboards so the best thing to do is to check your mobo's manual, it should explain everything...

As for the RAM, insert just your old stick in another slot (not the one that you made the failed try) and see what happens. If it works fine and you can boot in Windows, remove the stick and add your new one to see if it is functional. If both sticks seem ok in another slot then it's possible that you damaged the previous slot's pins by applying force to them. In that case you should use the other slots of your mobo with no problems I hope.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Three beeps should indicate bad memory.
    A reversed stick is likely to be very dead memory, just hope the motherboard has survived...

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

I agree with both the above and you may, probably, will have to clear the CMOS too before everything works A-OK.

EDIT: By the way, welcome to the board.

5. Rosmet

Rosmet Thread Starter

The motherboard manual did not explain this. It is a PC400, M925, with socket 478.

There are 4 slots total: two for DDR sticks and two for SDRAM sticks. I will try later tomorrow. Since SDRAM has no possibility of mistaken insertion (absolutely idiot type, unlike DDR), it is very much unlikely that I have damaged the original SDRAM stick or its slot. So the hope of for solving this problem should be slim by this way.

Our IT tech has tried his memory, and he got the same 3 long beeps. He suggested a replacement of the motherboard--apparently he must have suspected the survival of the motherboard.

If I clear the CMOS, will that affect the XP system and the content in the harddisk?

If I eventually have to replace the motherboard, how close a motherboard should I use? Will any motherboard with a Socket 478 works?

Thank you all very much for your suggestions!

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    DDR has a single notch that should not allow the memory to be installed incorrectly, the memory will not fully seat in the slot if installed backward.

If you want Windows to boot successfully you'll want as close of a match as possible, the main thing to match is the chipset on the motherboard or else Windows will not boot up without a Stop error. If you can't find an identical or one with the same chipset then you'll need to do a Repair install of Windows as described here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/rep... XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup:

Your motherboards uses an older VIA chipset; P4M266A/8235. So you'll want to stick with a VIA chipset motherboard for the replacement to avoid the repair install.

7. Rosmet

Rosmet Thread Starter

8. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Just make sure that you backup all your crucial work files before the motherboard replacement.

9. Rosmet

Rosmet Thread Starter

It beeps and won't start, there is no way for me to backup data. I have to prevent any possible damage to the hard disk. So what will happen if I clear CMOS? Some said WinXP will automatically recognize the new motherboard. Here are three mo/bo I am looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57106,N82E16813135221&N=2010200280+1070509907

The first one looks nice because it can use both DDR and DDR2. But it has a 24 pin power, different from the other two. Don't know what's the difference?

10. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

You could backup your data by adding your disk to another computer. You should be able to access and move your files in most cases.

If you change your motherboard there is no standards...Your machine may boot windows with crappy graphics/no sound etc due to the lack of controller drivers but letting you get your files a-ok. But it can also boot constantly in a blue screen and restart...

So I heavilly recommend you moving your disk to another machine and boot from this computer's XP installation, then backing up your files. Do not boot from your drive as it's pretty much the same as changing the motherboard.

Please make a thread with your backup issue (the Hard disk connection to another machine especially) so more experienced users can see it and help you out. I'm not familiar with all the complications you may encounter, never done it with really crucial files on disk so format was an option for me if things turned out bad.

11. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Sorry forgot to add these:

Clearing the CMOS was an option if your PC was "stuck" because of RAM incorrect placement etc. But as your mobo was identified as faulty this won't help anymore. Ask the tech guy who told you about mobo replacement to see if any possibilities of solution by clearing CMOS exist.

I'll check the specs of the mobos you posted and i'll post back later.

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can always install the hard drive in another computer as a secondary or slave drive and copy off any critical data.

The Asus board would likely be the best choice, Asus makes better quality products then the other two. Middle board does not have AGP but has PCI-Express, if you intend to reuse a current AGP video card card then you wouldn't be able to.

Since its a newer VIA chipset it may not boot without doing a repair install but its your best shot.

13. Rosmet

Rosmet Thread Starter

Thank you both! I think I will backup my data first from another computer. My computer crashed once, so I know how to put the hard drive as a slave or master etc.

14. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Maybe I missed it, but I do not see where you or the IT tech has tried clearing the CMOS. Before you go to too much trouble, at least try it. You have nothing to lose and rest assured that doing so will have no effect on your hard drive or anything on it.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

15. griffinspc

griffinspc

Yes, clear the CMOS first. I don't see where there's definitive proof that the mobo's bad or did I miss it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice