Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

continuous 3 long beeps after DDR memory misinsertion

4K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  griffinspc 
#1 ·
Hi all,

My desktop used to worked fine only a little bit slow--256 MB SDRAM memory only. Recently I decided to upgrade it to 1GB with a DDR one (Samsung, 184 pin, unregistered, unbuffered, and low density, which is exactly OK for this computer). Unfortunately, I mistakenly inserted the DDR in the wrong way, i.e, switched the back and the front! The separated "Keyed" does not affect the insertion! (SDRAM should never have this problem because you can clearly see the match). The first time I turned on the power, there was one beep and no other signals to the monitor. I turned off the power, reinserted the memory, and turned on the power again, from then on I can hear continuous 3 long beeps separated by a little big longer pause. I then pulled out the new DDR, inserted back the old SDRAM, and I got the same 3 long beeps. Anyone who knows how to fix it please help! Thank you! Rosmet

#2 ·
Hi friend...Well those beeps are a BIOS diagnostic that informs you about a component failure...The beep codes vary between different makes/models of motherboards so the best thing to do is to check your mobo's manual, it should explain everything...

As for the RAM, insert just your old stick in another slot (not the one that you made the failed try) and see what happens. If it works fine and you can boot in Windows, remove the stick and add your new one to see if it is functional. If both sticks seem ok in another slot then it's possible that you damaged the previous slot's pins by applying force to them. In that case you should use the other slots of your mobo with no problems I hope.

#5 ·
The motherboard manual did not explain this. It is a PC400, M925, with socket 478.

There are 4 slots total: two for DDR sticks and two for SDRAM sticks. I will try later tomorrow. Since SDRAM has no possibility of mistaken insertion (absolutely idiot type, unlike DDR), it is very much unlikely that I have damaged the original SDRAM stick or its slot. So the hope of for solving this problem should be slim by this way.

Our IT tech has tried his memory, and he got the same 3 long beeps. He suggested a replacement of the motherboard--apparently he must have suspected the survival of the motherboard.

If I clear the CMOS, will that affect the XP system and the content in the harddisk?

If I eventually have to replace the motherboard, how close a motherboard should I use? Will any motherboard with a Socket 478 works?

Thank you all very much for your suggestions!

#6 ·
DDR has a single notch that should not allow the memory to be installed incorrectly, the memory will not fully seat in the slot if installed backward.

If you want Windows to boot successfully you'll want as close of a match as possible, the main thing to match is the chipset on the motherboard or else Windows will not boot up without a Stop error. If you can't find an identical or one with the same chipset then you'll need to do a Repair install of Windows as described here: http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/rep... XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup:

Your motherboards uses an older VIA chipset; P4M266A/8235. So you'll want to stick with a VIA chipset motherboard for the replacement to avoid the repair install.

#9 ·
It beeps and won't start, there is no way for me to backup data. I have to prevent any possible damage to the hard disk. So what will happen if I clear CMOS? Some said WinXP will automatically recognize the new motherboard. Here are three mo/bo I am looking at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57106,N82E16813135221&N=2010200280+1070509907

The first one looks nice because it can use both DDR and DDR2. But it has a 24 pin power, different from the other two. Don't know what's the difference?

#10 ·
You could backup your data by adding your disk to another computer. You should be able to access and move your files in most cases.

If you change your motherboard there is no standards...Your machine may boot windows with crappy graphics/no sound etc due to the lack of controller drivers but letting you get your files a-ok. But it can also boot constantly in a blue screen and restart...

So I heavilly recommend you moving your disk to another machine and boot from this computer's XP installation, then backing up your files. Do not boot from your drive as it's pretty much the same as changing the motherboard.

Please make a thread with your backup issue (the Hard disk connection to another machine especially) so more experienced users can see it and help you out. I'm not familiar with all the complications you may encounter, never done it with really crucial files on disk so format was an option for me if things turned out bad.

#11 ·
Sorry forgot to add these:

Clearing the CMOS was an option if your PC was "stuck" because of RAM incorrect placement etc. But as your mobo was identified as faulty this won't help anymore. Ask the tech guy who told you about mobo replacement to see if any possibilities of solution by clearing CMOS exist.

I'll check the specs of the mobos you posted and i'll post back later.

#12 ·
You can always install the hard drive in another computer as a secondary or slave drive and copy off any critical data.

The Asus board would likely be the best choice, Asus makes better quality products then the other two. Middle board does not have AGP but has PCI-Express, if you intend to reuse a current AGP video card card then you wouldn't be able to.

Since its a newer VIA chipset it may not boot without doing a repair install but its your best shot.

#14 ·
:) Maybe I missed it, but I do not see where you or the IT tech has tried clearing the CMOS. Before you go to too much trouble, at least try it. You have nothing to lose and rest assured that doing so will have no effect on your hard drive or anything on it.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

#16 ·
People I agree with both of you and you can see that I told Rosmet to ask again about clearing the CMOS. Sorry if I took for granted that the mobo is damaged but even if he clears the CMOS there are still 2 issues.

-According to Rosmet's first post, his mobo could be physically damaged and not just "stuck", because of RAM misinsertion.

-If this is true, then he won't be able to use 2 RAM sticks of DDR as his mobo has only 2 DDR slots and the one could be damaged. If he really needs to upgrade it is better to go for a new mobo.

Rosmet you said that the technician used his own memory. Did he check both DDR slots and found none working???

#17 ·
No argument at all, everything you say is sadly true. We just want to see the easy / cheap tested first :D By the way there may be one more issue, we shouldn't assume this is a he. Lots o smart women digging into puters these days.

#18 ·
I did not see the IT tech try the other slot. Even I have damaged one of the DDR slot, the other should still work--I did not try the other so far though. But I did try the original working SDRAM stick, with its working slot, it did not work from then on. So something must have gone wrong outside the stick-slot, e.g., the motherboard damage. Could CMOS solve this kind of problem?

#21 ·
Rosmet follow griffinspc's advice and please try clearing the CMOS first. If you don't get any encouraging results then the mobo has unfortunatelly to be replaced. Clearing CMOS is a quite easy procedure and you won't have trouble performing it. It is usually done by removing a certain mobo jumper for a few seconds, reffer to your manual for details. This will not affect your hard disk data as the boys mentioned before. Post your results...Best of luck:up:

#24 ·
No luck! Clear CMOS does not work. Did it by switching the jumber to the clear position for some seconds, and then switched back.

Have to consider changing mobo. The original mobo is a Socket 478. Does this mean that any mobo with a Socket 478 should work? What is the difference between 20 Pin and 24 Pin of the Power Pin? I am still thinking one of the following 3:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...57106,N82E16813135221&N=2010200280+1070509907

Thanx!

#25 ·
You need to make sure the motherboard you choose supports the processor you have, the socket alone is not enough. Most Socket 478 motherboard do not require a 24 pin main power connector, but almost all have a 20 pin main and a 4 pin auxiliary connector. You'd want a newer 24 pin power supply for a 24 pin motherboard. I've already suggested which board I'd try going with for the best chance of Windows booting without needing a repair install and it only takes a 20 pin main connector.

#26 ·
Hello friends,

I have good news for my 3 long beeps trouble as the final result:

With a friend's help I changed the motherboard (Asus, as Tripple6 suggested), inserted that trouble-causing DDR, rebooted the XP, installed a couple of drivers from the Mobo CD, reactivated the XP and I got everything back! Thank you all for your help!

My other question unrelated to this but is still not solved is:

My XP rebooted unsuccessfully endlessly one year ago, so I bought the current hard drive, reinstalled the XP, put the first hard drive as a slave. At the beginning I could access the old hard drive without any problems. A few days later when I was starting the XP, there was a weired beeping, from then on when I click on the old hard drive, it takes a long time and then come up a message saying something like "...Do you want to format this drive?". Sometimes I don't even see the drive letter.

I googled and some suggested that it might be a partition problem. I used TestDisk (http://www.wordwebonline.com/search.pl?w=disk+partition) to test, but it says everything is normal. Besides, TestDisk is a kind of user friendless, at least to me. Thank you in advance for you suggestions! Most of my old stuffs are still buried there.

Rosimet

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.