1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

continuous beeping(HELP)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by giodadlv, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

[/QUOTE]OK MY FRIEND'S COMPUTER EVERY TIME HE TURNS IT ON IT BEEPS ABOUT EVERY THREE SECONDS(CONTINUOUSLEY)..
    NO BOOT+BLACK SCREEN
    IVE TRIED TAKING OUT THE MEMORY AND CLEANING IT (DIDN'T WORK):eek:
    THEN I TRIED DIFFERENT MEMORY(DIDN'T WORK):eek:
    THEN I TRIED ALL THE MEMORY SLOTS WITH HIS MEMORY AND MY MEMORY(DIDN'T WORK)
    ALL WE GET IS THAN ANNOYING BEEP!!!!!!..:eek:.
    i also tried changing out the power supply(DIDN'T WORK):eek:
    .CAN SOMEONE PLEASE! HELP ME??:confused::confused:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi giodadlv, and welcome to TSG.

What is the brand and model number of the motherboard?

Is there a label on the BIOS chip that identifies what BIOS is being used?

Is it a single beep, or a specific pattern?

EDIT: Are there any expansion cards in any of the motherboard slots?

FYI, the "Tech Tips and Reviews" forum is for posting Tips and product reviews, not for asking for help. I will ask a mod to move this topic to the hardware forum. Also, there is no need to shout (all caps).

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I moved this to hw forum; you will get more help.

Next no one [other than you] has any idea what we are working on. Post the exact parts; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, then post the make and model.

One other item; when you post in the forum please do not use caps. Just post in normal English; ie capitalize the first letter of a sentence, use proper punctuation, etc.

4. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

ok ok sorry bout that it is an OLD COMPAQ PRESARIO SR191....motherboard is asus..(ABN-LA)w/NAVIDIA

5. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

ok ok sorry bout that it is an OLD COMPAQ PRESARIO SR191....motherboard is asus..(ABN-LA)w/NAVIDIA

6. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

single beep over and over

7. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

thanks

8. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

mb=asus(abn-la)
    bios i believe Nevidia
    single beep over n over
    no expansion cards
    old compaq presario (sr191 onx)

9. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, with something that old you can do some basic troubleshooting however the system is not worth putting any money into repairing. If you can fix it with a simple reseat of the ram, then great.

Start by removing the ram chip blow out the socket on the mb with a can of air. Now reinstall the ram making sure each one is fully seated. Next reseat all pw connections ie atx pw and aux pw connectors. Once done with that, pw ON and see if it works. If it does, great. If not, post back there are a few more things we can try that do not cost any money.

Again, I would draw the line at having to purchase any parts for this system. When I looked it up, it was a $399 system 5yrs ago so its value today in next to nothing.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I should add that when you have the case cover off to reseat parts, give the board a close inspection with a bright light look for any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attached Files:

11. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I did some Google searches for Compaq SR191 and ASUS ABN-LA. It looks like it may have an Award BIOS, but I could not find any Award BIOS write ups that list a single repeating beep code.

12. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

i checked and there is no leaking or bulging capaciters.

13. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

i tried reseating the ram and cleaning it and i blew out all the slots and i changed to different power supplies but i did find out he dropped it on the ground and the ram flew out.

14. giodadlv

giodadlv Thread Starter

15. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    If it was dropped so hard that the ram came out i would say its probably got serious problems that might not be able to be fixed or are worth fixing.Unless im missing something it sounds more like a laptop not a desktop computer which unfortunately can be dropped.im amazed that the screen wasnt damaged as well from the fall.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!