Continuous power, PSU?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PrancerTran

i am looking for a corsair or an antec psu
as suggested by crjdriver here i have zeroed down on the corsair rm/rmx series or the antec hcg gold series

they have mentioned on their pages that the psu will have a Guaranteed 650W/750w of Continuous Power
does this mean that the psu/pc will use 650w or 750w of continuous power, whatever the psu is, even if the pc demands only, say, about 400w ?
wanted to clarify this as i couldnt find a proper research on this online

thanks in advance

Tanis

Shane
Hi, the PSU will only supply the power that is being pulled by the PC and its components. Ideally you don't want to be drawing more than 80% of the PSU max capacity, this will reduce the risk issues and should ensure the PSU works efficiently.

So, if your PC requires 400w of power (all the components) then I would be looking for a minimum of a good quality, 500w PSU (400 being 80% of 500)

Hope that makes sense.

PrancerTran

Good psus below 750w are not available
However i dont think my pc needs more than 350w

General rule of thumb is that any add on GPU that may be present basically dictates the minimum required output and efficiency rating that a PSU must be capable of providing.

For us to be better able to advise you see the below;

Please provide information about your computer, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if a brand name, provide the model name or series number (not serial) if a custom build post the brand and model name or number for the CPU, MB, the RAM (including the amount) add on video card if one is used and the PSU (power supply unit) providing these details will enable folk to better assist you.

Can you also let us know in which country you will be making any purchase.

PrancerTran

Hi, the PSU will only supply the power that is being pulled by the PC and its components. Ideally you don't want to be drawing more than 80% of the PSU max capacity, this will reduce the risk issues and should ensure the PSU works efficiently.

So, if your PC requires 400w of power (all the components) then I would be looking for a minimum of a good quality, 500w PSU (400 being 80% of 500)

Hope that makes sense.
so basically continuous power does not mean that the psu will give out the mentioned wattage it is capable of but only how much my pc demands right?

because if a pc demands only 400w, then the 750w psu shouldnt give out full 750w.

Last edited:

crjdriver

Many electrical devices have dual ratings. My home generator is just one of them; 10,000W continuous and 12,500 peak rating. What this means is that when you turn ON a high draw item ie A/C, Car charger, whatever, the load spikes and the unit has the ability to continue to deliver the needed wattage.
In regard to pw supplies, it means the unit can deliver up to the max continuous rating. It does NOT mean the unit will deliver that rating all of the time; only when there is a sufficient load on the system.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online