1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Continuous Re-Boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Dixiebox, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dixiebox

Dixiebox Thread Starter

My computer (XP) continuously re-boots.It comes up normally, but then the screen goes blank and the computer re-boots itself as if I purposely hit the re-start! It has rendered the system totally useless. I tried to boot from the XP CD to repair or recover, but as it goes through the motions to read the system, the same re-boot occurs. I have tried to boot up in safe mode with the same result. Is there a fix? Help please!:eek:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ram is a good possibility and you really need to test it.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

Can you create a bootable memory tester using another computer?

Test the memory tester on a good computer first to make sure you have created it properly -- then test on the bad one.

Use the .iso type format -- but make sure you know how to burn an ISO file; if not just ask.

3. oshwyn5

oshwyn5

That it occurs when you are trying to boot to a bootable cd (the XP install cd) would to me indicate that the most likely culprit is the Power supply , which is cycling off and then the bios setting of restart after power failure is starting it back up.

Yes, bad memory, a bad IDE cable or ide controller, bad motherboard or any of a number of other things could cause it too.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice