1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control Another Computer to Work on It?

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by MaryBeth, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Hi guys! Does anyone know what program to download so I can take control of another computer to work on it? I know there are programs out there but do not know what or how they work.
    Thanks in advance. :p

2. manishsharmahcl

manishsharmahcl

Dear ...

You can use joinme software to control other computer...Enjoy

3. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Thank you so much. Have you used this software? Both computers have to download it, correct?

4. manishsharmahcl

manishsharmahcl

thats right :)

5. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Here's why I am asking; I am wanting to help my brother that is in another state and makes me look like a computer genius. If he has to do anything it has to be very very easy. Put it this way, he cannot change the password on his email. How much would he have to do? I have googled it and cannot find the steps.

6. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

7. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Thanks DoubleHelix. Have you used this and how much is the license fee? I am really asking what will the other computer have to do. I will handle my end but I need to know what will be expected of the other computer.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

I use TeamViewer. It is free for non-commercial use. You install the full package or the "viewer" and the person on the other end just clicks on the downloaded "quick support module". Nothing installed. They send you the username and password and you are connected.

UltraVNC has a support package that you can customize with your own logos, etc. Also free.

9. LauraMJ

LauraMJ Administrator

I also use TeamViewer and have been very very happy with it. I work on several relatives' computers and a couple of older ladies' computers. Trust me, if some of them can get their end running, then ANYONE can.

If it is a computer you think you will have to deal with regularly, the other person can install the small "quick support module" and have a desktop icon that they then just click on to open it. Your full version will even store their computer's ID number, though they have to log you in by giving you the ID number over the phone or something.

If you need to do a reboot, after being logged in, then TeamViewer will allow a reboot ordered from your end and then you will be logged back in when it boots up. It's very easy to use and very handy.

10. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Thread Starter

Thank you so much, Elvandil and Laura. That's what I needed to know. Also, if he has a virus, which is what he is saying, will that put my computer at risk?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/998009