1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Control of Computer

Discussion in 'General Security' started by ottiliegirl, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:33 AM.

Advertisement
  1. ottiliegirl

ottiliegirl Thread Starter

This problem is occuring on a different computer than I am logged in on.

The computer is running the most current version of Windows 10. I use GoogleChrome as my browser. Yesterday I was looking for directions to a location and wanted to download them. Wwhen I got to the site to download them I was instructed to click on DOWNLOAD to "install the map" and get the printed directions. I never got the map. When I tried to go back to Google it was no longer active and had been replaced by "BING". Everytime I tried to select the file I wanted to go to - Bing sends me right back to the map page. So I shut down the system and restarted. Again it loaded Bing.and brought me right back to the last screen I had seen and kept doing it no matter what file I wanted. I restarted again and instead of using any icons I typed in the URL site I wanted to get to. I activated CCleaner and ran that. Then I had to shut down again and ran Malwarebytes. After looking at the 79 infections it found, more than half of them included the words about "Chrome user extensionss".. I don't know if this is significant but I do remember seeing something about the word "extensions" when I was tyring to get those maps. When I checked control panel, nothing new has been added to my system. . So right now my computer is useless. I would appreciate any help you can think of. Thank you.

2. Volstein

Volstein

You have to be more careful downloading files from unknown websites. Always check the address you're visiting. There are many scams that change some letter in url and you don't even notice it as the website looks exactly the same as the original one.
    One more point about CCleaner - if you hadn't seen it's infected on its own - just look through some news about it and better uninstall it. I think there are other similar programs that will not do any hard to your PC.

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

The extensions are inside Chrome. Go look for them from the Chrome top right menu, Then disable all the extensions - you can re-enable them one by one later.

4. ottiliegirl

ottiliegirl Thread Starter

Thank you all for your help. I appreciate your input and will take careful use in the future.
    I am thankful my computer is back in working order.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice