1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

control panel, drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by shanenelson2, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shanenelson2

shanenelson2 Thread Starter

I can't open control panel or run anything that has to do with the folder control panel. I can't install anything from my disk drive.

2. starwars

starwars

Hi there,

try this, goto start menu and then click run.

type in "control" without the asterix

see if that opens it

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What happens when you try to open the control panel?

If you do a search of the c:\windows\system32 folder for .cpl files and click on each one individually, do they open?

If any fail or produce error messages, rename them with a .bak extension instead of .cpl and try again.

4. shanenelson2

It went to an error........saying this file does not have a program assciated with it

5. shanenelson2

search won't open........... only run will open and I can't get on the internet?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try installing the .cpl registry patch from here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Also, go to Start > run and enter:

regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

does the registering complete successfully?

Also, as a workaround at least, right click on the Start button, select Properties > Customized > Advanced, and make the Control Panel open as a menu.

I've seen this work when all else failed.

If you run eventvwr.msc are there any errors in the System or Applications logs for when you try to use Search or the Control Panel? You can double click them to view the description and there is a double paper copy icon that can copy the description to the clipboard for pasting.

7. shanenelson2

I tryed entering everything in "run" but it wont let me run nothing or anything at all. it say to create an association in the folder optons control panel. and i can not connect to the internet, it say's my network connections are deleted.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Frankly I think you are going to have to reinstall the operating system to resolve this variety of errors.

Do you have an XP CD, or recovery media from the computer vendor?

However if System Restore has not been buggered you can try using it to restore the computer to a date that did not have these problems.

Either go to Start > Run: msconfig and choose "launch System Restore" or navigate to

c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and run rstrui.exe

9. shanenelson2

I do not have a cd to reinstall the windows. I bought it back in 2001 and they just sent it to me preinstalled. also my drives won't run any disks anyways.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't know what I can offer given you are pretty much responding to a "nothing works" with every suggestion and not much detail at that.

Drives don't run any disks?

What happens when you try to run "System Restore"?

If you go to Start > Run, and enter appwiz.cpl does Add/Remove programs open?

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice