1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control Panel folder won't appear

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by cryptochange, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cryptochange

cryptochange Thread Starter

For some reason I can't view anything that is under the control panel as well as the control panel itself. I can open everything else fine such as pics, music, games, videos. But anything that has to with the control panel I can't see. The task bar says the folder is open but I see nothing.

I have tried the following: ran sfc, it says nothing is wrong, tried to create a new user account, but I can't since it falls under the control panel. I tried to create a new user account through the guest account (I was able to make it an administrator) but it says I can't create a new account with special characters such as $=- etc... I didn't use any special characters at all so I don't know why it's saying that. It seems to me that this is a registry problem, and I'm a little uncomfortable with the registry and don't like to mess with it at all. Worse comes to worse I'm going to try to reinstall windows

2. cryptochange

But hopefully there is a quicker fix than reinstalling windows

3. adamspe

adamspe

The only thing I can think of is that youre using a limited account vs the administrator account.

4. cryptochange

both accounts are administrator

5. cryptochange

and even with a limited account you can see the control panel folder, my problem persists there with the original account, but I can see it with the guest account but it wont let me make a new account because it keeps saying I'm using special character which I'm not.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try Start > Run: control.exe

Does the window open?

I don't know how that is possible since SFC does not issue a report on whether it replaced any files. The only way to tell is to look at the PendingFleRenameOperations list before rebooting. The files will be replaced than.

Have you installed any programs lately that may have added a corrupted applet to the Control Panel, or a program not designed for Windows 7?

7. cryptochange

Yes I downloaded an old computer game (diablo 2) and every time I play it something with my computer goes wrong, run control.exe did not work, the control panel appears on my task bar but still no window appears.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!