1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control Panel Icon Removal

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by mparegian, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mparegian

mparegian Thread Starter

How do I remove an icon in the Control Panel of Windows Vista?? The program is totally gone - I have gone into the Registry and removed all traces of it - but the Icon remains in the Control Panel. I have tried various procedures but nothing has worked thus far - can you help? The program is/was Avira Antivir Personal Edition.

2. sonexpc

sonexpc

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Search your machine for *.cpl. See if you can identify which one goes to Avira. It may be avconfig.cpl.

4. mparegian

mparegian Thread Starter

I tried the Avira Registry Cleaner and it found 17 entries which I deleted - that surprised me - I restarted the computer and the icon remains in the Control Panel.

I then searched for *.cpl - and found many of them but was unable to identify any of them as they are all just numbers.

Any other suggestions ??

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

They should not be numbers. Most are not numbers. How many did you find? Most should be in system32. Where did you search? Did you search system folders, the whole machine?

You may have better luck with Agent Ransack. It searches very thoroughly.

(Never use any other registry cleaner except the one from Avira that cleans out old Avira entries. They will damage your system.)

6. mparegian

mparegian Thread Starter

OK - there are quite a few - such as appwiz.cpl - it is a control panel item - in System 32. I have gone over and over the list but have nothing that relates to Avira or the avconfig.cpl

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Check Program Files to see if Avira is still there. Unhide hidden files and folders.

8. mparegian

mparegian Thread Starter

No - showing all hidden files - Avira is not listed in the Program files.

9. sonexpc

sonexpc

When you say is totally done... which method you use to uninstall it ... you do it manuelly or use add and remove program in contolr program....

Is there any antivirus you put on after you remove Avira.....

and If you run the the Avira Registry Cleaner again is all registry remove already.... just want to make sure it remove all registry and not protected by the OS..

You may want to install once more of the Avira Antivir Personal Edition on top ... and then use uninstall in control panel to remove it again...

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989138

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice