1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control Panel Multimedia Lock ups

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by j_wilk, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. j_wilk

j_wilk Thread Starter

I'm working with an AMD K6-333 w/ 64 MB RAM and WIN98 also running TweakUI and I'm having lockup problems working with Audio CD's or just opening and closing the Multimedia control panel. It locks up to the point that Ctrl-Alt-Del will not do anything. Here's what I've tried:
    - Upgrading to Win98SE
    - Removing and Reinstalling sound drivers (Integrated Crystal CS4235)
    - Tried a different sound card
    - updating virus protection and checking for viruses
    - going into safe mode - device manager and occurances of sound
    - Add/remove programs - Windows Setup - remove multimedia and reinstall
    - tried a different cd rom drive
    - ran system file checker

Sound seems to work fine with .wav files. I would think that if it were a corrupt file associated with Multimedia then upgrading to Win98 SE would have fixed it. I'm thinking a registry problem but not sure. Formatting is not an option.

Got any ideas?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

****important****then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should get you in pretty good shape

Savvy :)

cleanup http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

after you do all this, reboot and come back so we can do the next step

3. j_wilk

j_wilk Thread Starter

most of this had already been done, but I have accomplished these tasks... still locking up. And it doesn't appear to be a problem with the Mutilmedia control panel. I renamed it and inserted an audio cd and it still locked up.

4. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Do you have as-aware for spyware.... it will cause( spyware eill ) all kinds of troubles.

perhaps you should show us your startup group
    go to start/run ... type in ... msinfo32 click ok
    then click the + at software envirement
    then ckick on startup
    go to edit & click on select all
    then back ro edit & click copy
    come back, paste it here

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don' know why you should be getting a freeze just opening the multimedia applet in the Control Panel. Perhaps mmsys.cpl is corrupt and should be restored. You might also run system.ini (from start>run) so it opens in Notepad and verify you have a:

drivers=mmsystem.dll

entry under the [boot] header.

And some folks need to have DMA mode unchecked in their Device Manager CD-Rom properties>settings page to avoid freezes and other errors when playing audio CDs

6. j_wilk

j_wilk Thread Starter

I'll type the Startup Environment because at the moment that particular computer doesn't have internet access.

Crystal 3D Audio Control - Startup Group - C:\Windows\cwd3dsmd/exe
    Taskbar Display Controls - Registy (Per-User Run) - RunDLL deskcp16.dll,QUICKRES_RUNDLLENTRY
    ScanRegistry - Registry (Machine Run) - c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registy - Registry (Machine Run) - c:\windows\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray - Registry (Machine Run) - SystTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile - Registry (Machine Run) - Rundll32.exe powprof.dll, LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    FontFix - Registry (Machine Run) - c:\windows\options\systools\fntfix.exe
    ScheulingAgent - Registry (Machine Service) - mtash.exe

7. j_wilk

j_wilk Thread Starter

I checked the system.ini and it contains the drivers=mmsystem.dll

I also unchecked the DMA settings, but that didn't seem to fix the problem either.

I copied a different mmsys.cpl file from my other computer that has the same version of Win98 and that didn't solve the problem either.

Also, I've installed Winamp just to see if by chance it would be a problem with cdplayer.exe and it locks up also. (I knew it would since it appears to be something with Multimedia control panel and not just Audio Cd's)

btw... I really appreciate all the help everyone has been so far. The more ideas the better the chance of resolving my inconvenient problem.

8. j_wilk

j_wilk Thread Starter

Seems to have been a problem with TweakUI. It was a version that came preinstalled on this Packard Bell and it didn't give me the option to uninstall it from Add/Remove programs, so I just kept it from loading in msconfig startup. So, I downloaded a newer version and installed it, and then uninstalled that version and it removed the other version of TweakUI also. I don't know why, but this fixed the problem. I don't really know why I tried to remove TweakUI anyway other than I was grasping for straw...

again, Thanks for all your help and ideas ...

9. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Thanks for the follow-up. It definitely seems like an odd fix; I hope it holds up. There are some Control Panel and CD-Rom related settings in TweakUI, but I expect they would have been carried over.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63367

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice