1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control Panel objects not visible

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cooldude2002, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cooldude2002

Cooldude2002 Thread Starter

Hello,

I had problems uninstalling Norton Anti-Virus, i.e. even though i uninstalled it, the computer was throwing up a missing file and gave a link to solve the problem. Following the info on the link (symantec's website) i removed all symantec folder and registry enteries, when i restarted the computer, it doesn't show me the objects in the control panel. It list 33 objects but doesn't show any! Nothing under the View option could change that. Does somebody know how to fix it?

Also, i unistalled NAV but it doesn't get removed from the Add/Remove programs ... anyway to get it out of there?

Thanks
    -Cooldude2002

2. airdale

airdale

Try to remove Norton using the remove /uninstall option on the CD.
    Insert the CD and remove it using that option.
    If that don't work use symantec manually removal.
    (You may have to install before you can remove)
    Airdale

3. Low Mein

Low Mein

Cool
    My guess is you removed something in the registry that sounded like it was part of NAV but actually had to do with control panel icons. Can you restore the registry to an earlier date before you removed Norton and got into the registry.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You can try System Restore if using WinME or Scanreg /restore if on 98. Scanreg /restore will just replace registry entries, so you might have to go about deleting the Symantec entries a second time.

To run Scanreg /restore on 98, retart in MS-DOS mode and enter it at the c:\> windows prompt

If Nav has been removed but remains in Add/Remove programs just delete the registry folder for it under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171743

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice