1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control Panel - Sounds and Audio Devices Properties - Volume Options grayed out

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Forto, Jun 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Forto

Forto Thread Starter

I am not able to record or hear sounds from my office based Packard Bell laptop running MS Windows XP Professional SP2.
    • The mixer device is Realtek AC97 Audio which appears to be installed and running OK. The driver is also current.
    • The attached speakers and Logitech headphones work OK on my personal laptop and are plugged properly.
    • The control panel volume options are grayed out for both "Device Volume" and "Speaker Settings" in Sounds And Audio Devices Properties.
    • I am using Windows Default Sounds.
    • There are no error flags on the "sound, video or game controllers" under Device Manager.
    • Sound playback default device is Realtek AC97 Audio and sound recoring default device is Logitech USB Headset. MIDI music playback default device is Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.
    • Voice playback default device is Realtek AC97 Audio (using laptop speakers selected) and sound recoring default device is Logitech USB Headset.
    • Troubleshooting has not pointed to any problems.
    The problem surely rests with the grayed out volume options with the volume slide set to 0. From my many attempts to Google a solution I am of the opinion that this is not an uncommon problem.
    Can someone please help.

Cheers

Forto

2. idowindows

idowindows

So dev mgr shows a-ok?

I'd still reinstall the sound drivers....

3. Forto

Forto Thread Starter

Yeah the Device Manager looks OK to me. I will reinstall current driver next week and see what happens.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!