Solved Control panel won't open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

micromos

I am trying to delete some extra printers on my print program. However, I cannot open my Control Panel. All it does is run the green line across but never opens. Can anyone help me. Thanks, Micromos :confused:

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Do not go to an actual restore point and progress restore, but check if you can open system restore
windows button
programs
accessories
system tools
system restore
if the window does open click next and see if there are restore points

2. DO not restore I just want you to check please if you can access it.

3. What Antivirus please is in use

4. If it will let you, run this please and copy and paste the info in the white box to your reply
http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

micromos

When I got to "system tools" the only options available were: Computer - control panel - internet explorer (no-add ons) - private character editor. No system restore option.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 6051 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, -1262 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 595378 MB, Free - 534174 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 034W60
Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
open a cmd prompt with admin rights
that is windows button
type in search
cmd
when command prompt appears above right click
and click run as admin
the cmd window should then be headed
Administrator Command Prompt
you should be at a C:\ etc prompt
type
chkdsk /r

agree to run on restart and do so please
post back when you have done that

micromos

When I type in cmd I receive a box asking if I want program to make changes to computer. I click yes and a black box appears: Labeled Admin:C\Windows\system32\cmd,exe. In the box it says: C\Windows\system32> Should I type in "chkdsk /r" ?

micromos

The box says the type of file system is NTFS. Chdisk cannot run because the volumn is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volumn to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I am signing off
I am in the UK
Goodnight - back about 1900 UK time now 0036
When that chkdsk has completed

if you saw the results were there any bad sectors recorded
Are things any different after the chkdsk

Download the FREE malwarebytes
https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Even although you are downloading the free one - be careful to opt OUT of the free trial of the paid for edition
Run a quick scan and IF it finds anything allow it to quarantine it and post the log please
History - application log left pane

The box says the type of file system is NTFS. Chdisk cannot run because the volumn is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volumn to be checked the next time the system restarts? <Y/N>

That is your clue.

micromos

Good morning! My control panel now opens. However, when I click on "Devices and Printers" (to remove extra printers) the green line appears again and does never finish. It just keeps running. Other setting open but not Devices and Printers. I am sorry I am not smarter about working computers and using up your time.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Blu-86
The message is standard when issuing a chkdsk command, other than a read only one, as chkdsk /r or indeed f cannot run when the disk is in use.

micromos
Please tell me a little more
if you saw the results were there any bad sectors recorded
Are things any different after the chkdsk
If you did not see the results go Control Panel, Admin tools and see if you can open event viewer
If you can expand windows logs on left pane and click application log
when that log loads click find on right pane and type

wininit (note spelling)

click find next, see if finds the chkdsk log
if it does click copy right pane, as text and paste to your reply

micromos

Well I clicked on Admin tools but there is no event viewer to open. I see: Microsoft .Net framework 1.1 config and 1.1 wizards.

I don't deal with standards or such I deal with specific skills. Those commands I did back in 1999-2001 when 98SE and XP were in their hayday- before that. That means ... knowing what the messages mean beyond your definition of standard.

I do agree though in this instance the OP should listen to you. You have a good grasp on the standard here.

Blu-86
The message is standard when issuing a chkdsk command, other than a read only one, as chkdsk /r or indeed f cannot run when the disk is in use.

micromos
Please tell me a little more

If you did not see the results go Control Panel, Admin tools and see if you can open event viewer
If you can expand windows logs on left pane and click application log
when that log loads click find on right pane and type

wininit (note spelling)

click find next, see if finds the chkdsk log
if it does click copy right pane, as text and paste to your reply

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
There is something very strange occurring IF you did click on Administrative Tools as even if event viewer is not there - Microsoft Net Framework and wizards do NOT appear in any list in admin tools
Please see my screenshot

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online