1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

control panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nok, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nok

nok Thread Starter

Hello all,

Just the other day i went to my control panel, and instead of clicking on control panel to open the window for it, it opens up in a list like accessories would? i dont like this and would like it to open in a window like it did before.
    I have spent some time tring to figure it out but to no avail, hope you can help.
    Also while on the subject of problems, when i type ipconfig and ping in my CMD window it give this reply: ipconfig is not a recognized as an internal, external command, batch file.??
    i get this with ping too.
    Thanks very much

sys:
    win xp pro
    cable connection

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Do you mean your Control Panel is in Classic View and not Category View. Look in the left corner. There is an option to toggle that back and forth.

If you are having problems running ipconfig and ping, I would suggest you post a HiJackThis log in the security forum. You probably have some spyware problems.

3. nok

nok Thread Starter

Ty for the reply

when i click start button i run my cursor over control panel and it brings up a list of everything in control panel. I can live with it but it niggles me sometimes:)

4. Squashman

You changed it.
    Right Click your start Button and select properties.
    On the Start Menu Tab click the Customize button
    Then click on the advanced tab.
    You will see the light from there.

5. Squashman

Forgot to mention, your problems with running ping and ipconfig could be a path problem as well. Open up a cmd prompt and type path.

Post that info back here.

6. nok

nok Thread Starter

that fixed the control panel problem, thank you.

How do i get the text from the cmd screen paste here from path? also the text given runs out the cmd window, maximizing dosn't work
    thank again:)

7. Squashman

It is actually wrapping itself around.
    C:\>echo %path% > path.txt

This will put the output of the path variable into a file call path.txt, from there you can copy and paste the info.

8. nok

nok Thread Starter

Here we go Squashman thx.
    %SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\;;

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/434071

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice