control panel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nok

Hello all,

Just the other day i went to my control panel, and instead of clicking on control panel to open the window for it, it opens up in a list like accessories would? i dont like this and would like it to open in a window like it did before.
I have spent some time tring to figure it out but to no avail, hope you can help.
Also while on the subject of problems, when i type ipconfig and ping in my CMD window it give this reply: ipconfig is not a recognized as an internal, external command, batch file.??
i get this with ping too.
Thanks very much

sys:
win xp pro
cable connection

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Do you mean your Control Panel is in Classic View and not Category View. Look in the left corner. There is an option to toggle that back and forth.

If you are having problems running ipconfig and ping, I would suggest you post a HiJackThis log in the security forum. You probably have some spyware problems.

nok

Ty for the reply

when i click start button i run my cursor over control panel and it brings up a list of everything in control panel. I can live with it but it niggles me sometimes:)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
You changed it.
Right Click your start Button and select properties.
On the Start Menu Tab click the Customize button
Then click on the advanced tab.
You will see the light from there.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Forgot to mention, your problems with running ping and ipconfig could be a path problem as well. Open up a cmd prompt and type path.

Post that info back here.

nok

that fixed the control panel problem, thank you.

How do i get the text from the cmd screen paste here from path? also the text given runs out the cmd window, maximizing dosn't work
thank again:)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
It is actually wrapping itself around.
C:\>echo %path% > path.txt

This will put the output of the path variable into a file call path.txt, from there you can copy and paste the info.

nok

Here we go Squashman thx.
%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Executive Software\Diskeeper\;;

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!