1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

control panel

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dumbdaddy, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumbdaddy

dumbdaddy Thread Starter

not all my programs come up on control panel add remove section. im always getting bad gateway messages every time i try to do something . what should i do.

2. Sponsor

3. devil_himself

devil_himself

4. dumbdaddy

dumbdaddy Thread Starter

ty for the link but what i have in control panel add remove is just windows and nothing else . there are programs like yahoo that are not working properly and i want to delete them . how do i go about doing that if they are not in add and remove.

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

1.Find the directory for the application and delete all the files in the directory. Delete It
    2.Open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete It

navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE and find the folder for the application. Delete It

navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
    Locate the service for the program you deleted and delete it

Search for the program your removed using windows search. Delete what found

-----------------------
    To remove the invalid entries from the Add/Remove applet manually [Windows 2000/XP]

1. Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    2. Locate the following key in the registry:
    3. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall
    4. Make sure you backup the keys.
    5. Look for the name of the program with the invalid entry.
    6. Delete the entire listing for the software with the orphaned entry.
    7. Close the registry editor.
    8. Restart your computer.
    Edit/Delete Message

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Wait! Before doing any registry editing here unless you are already an expert at registry editing I would suggest not doing that right now.

There are programs that will remove items from add/remove programs like ccleaner = crap cleaner. One of the older versions of it did that and I had to go thru and re-install all of the programs all over again.

I would suggest that you should try re-installing your apps all over again and to the same location that the app was originally installed. This eliminated editing the registry.

If you wish to go the edit the registry route I would suggest backing up the registry using this:

Here is a link to a registry backup program that is absolutely fantastic it is called ERUNT
    http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    Remember to always keep a backup of two things:
    Your registry, and your data. You will never be sorry.

7. dumbdaddy

dumbdaddy Thread Starter

Good Evening,

This is Courtney (daughter of user) - Could you please give more step by step instructions about how to clean up the computer? (Father and Myself are a little confused.)

Thank you

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!