1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Control panel

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by dawnanita, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dawnanita

dawnanita Thread Starter

I purchased a new computer with Windows 7 - Home Premium. The computer went to sleep, and I would have to punch it on and wake it up. This was no problem until I put a slide show on my desk top. When my computer went to sleep and I turned it back on, the pictures were going by on the slide show but my icons and start menu did not show up. Knowing very little about settings, I finally managed to find a place in the control panel that said to restore to defaults, so I did. I turned the computer off and back on and my icons and start menu appeared, but now I cannot open my control panel. When I go to start and click on control panel, it takes it down to the task bar, and when I right click on it, some lines of text appear with various things listed in the control panel, but I cannot get them to do anything. Now I am unable to get into my control panel at all in order to try and make any changes. Thanks, Dawn

2. Sponsor

3. laker_fan

laker_fan

you could try to run sfc /scannow from your command prompt and see if that doesnt help you out

4. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums.
    Click on Start, right click on computer then click on properties, then control panel home. See if this will open the control panel for you.
    Post back and let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

5. dawnanita

dawnanita Thread Starter

I must be completely computer illerate, because I don't know how to even run sfc/scan now from the command prompt. Could you tell me how to do that? Thanks

6. vicks

vicks

Probably the easiest for you to do is to click on computer, right click on your C drive, click on tools tab. the top item is 'check disk'. Click on that, a box with 2 options will open be sure both are checked. when you click on OK it will ask if you want it to run upon next start up. click yes the reboot the computer. It can take quite a LONG time for the computer to do this so be patient.
    Let us know how it goes.
    Vicks

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/962688