1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Controller Cards, Are They Necessary?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WINME, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

I purchased a Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM, High-Performance EIDE. Upon reading the installation information there is a notice that states.

"IMPORTANT: Use Data Lifeguard Tools 10.0 or later installation software to access the full capacity of your hard drive. Hard drives larger than 137 GB require a controller card to utilize full drive capacity."

Are controller cards necessary when the HHD is used with a P4 processor? If so whom would be a good choice to use?

2. Rockn

Rockn

Depends on the controller on the motherboard. If the card is faster than the one on the motherboard by all means use it. How much ya want for it?

3. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

How would I find out how fast the controller is that is on the MoBo? Or should I say how the controller that is on the MoBo, compares to optional controller cards.

4. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

This has nothing to do with your P4 processor. It has to do with your OS and BIOS.

How old is your BIOS? If it's older than a year then that's too old for larger drives. The controller card uses it's own kind of BIOS, that's how they work around the problem.

Also even if you do buy a controller card you still might not be able to access the full drive. This is because only Win XP was set up for drives that big. Do not use overdrive software. It will most likely mess up your hard drive, and it is VERY hard to remove ;)

5. WINME

WINME Thread Starter

I purchased the MoBo for this system I am building about 4 weeks ago, An Asus P4P800E-Deluxe. I am assuming that it is less that a year old, but then again there is really no way to tell when the Mobo was produced? I know Asus use to use Awards BIOS with their Mobo's but from what I have read about the board they have change to their own BIOS now??? But then again I may have misread something some where in manual.

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

When the computer boots up look at the date on the BIOS. It's how old the BIOS is, not the board. I would also look to see if there is a newer BIOS available from the mobo manufacture. If you have a new BIOS, AND you are running Windows XP, then you shouldn't need a controller card.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice