Controlling bandwidth usage

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maddawg

Ive got 4 puters (various windows) connected thru a switch onto a router (dsl).
Now I want to assign max transfer speed per machine...how is this possible?
Ive seen some hardware solutions, but I'd really like a software..
can anyone help (startin to get desperate here ;( )

..woof..

maddawg

If noone can help, can someone mebbe show me some other tech help sites?
I dont know if You got any rules against linking to other sites the like. I just need help....

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Some routers give you the ability to limit the amount of bandwidth each machine is allowed to use. That's probably the best solution, depending on what kind of router you have.

Alternatively, I would expect it to be <i>possible</i> for a program to be written to run on each machine that would limit the amount of bandwidth the system is using. I would think that this would have some interesting effects, though... for example, it would probably be possible for the user to close the limitation program and then get full bandwidth. Also, it would almost certainly have to restrict ALL bandwidth going through that computer's network adapter -- not just Internet traffic.

But, that's just a guess. I've never seen such software, and a quick search revealed nothing. If you find something, please reply to this thread and share your results!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online