1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Controlling Windows 2000 Startup

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Level3000, Mar 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Level3000

Level3000 Thread Starter

Does anyone know how I can control my startup programs in win2000? I have removed everything from my startup menu but there is still a lot of programs starting up (i.e real player and others I have installed which are not win2000 specific). If win2000 does not have an efficient way of doing this is there a third party program that I can use? Also, does anyone know a list of services I can shut down to improve the performance of my computer without harming the OS? Thanks in advance!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    I'm pretty sure it's similar, so check these:

Remove unwanted shortcuts from the C:\windows\start menu\programs\startup folder.

Start-Run and type msconfig and hit enter. Go to the Startup tab. Uncheck unwanted items.

If they're not there, then it's not as similar as I thought.

3. Level3000

Level3000 Thread Starter

Yup, Msconfig is not a part of win2000 and I have already cleared out my startup folder but still get all of these startup programs...ACK!! Thanks for the help anyway Dreamboat!!

4. BluesDog

BluesDog

Run regedit.exe, look at these keys:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

and/or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Back up (export) your registry before you delete stuff.

~jb~

5. BluesDog

BluesDog

ZDnet has a freeware app called startup cop... goto ZDnet downloads and search for 'startcop.'

It doesn't specifically say Win2000 but other people have reported success, it works so far on my machine, and it's easier and safer than editing registry.

~jb~

6. Level3000

Level3000 Thread Starter

Just as a FYI...Startup Cop worked like a charm on Win2000..thanks for the info!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/39677

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice