1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

conversion

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by straitlynn, Feb 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. straitlynn

straitlynn Thread Starter

i have a sony vaio vcg-rb30. i was wondering if it possible for me to hook my tv monitor up to my computer to watch movies, and if so what kind of hardware id need. thanks...

2. stantley

stantley

It should just be a matter of getting right cable and hooking it up. From highest quality to low use either DVI, VGA or S-video. See what input connections you have on your TV.

3. straitlynn

my tv has rca inputs however, i cant see any other outputs on my computer other than where my monitor plugs in...

4. stantley

stantley

Here is a page from the Sony VGC-RB30 desktop manual and it shows DVI, VGA and S-video, maybe I have the wrong model no.

Attached Files:

5. straitlynn

yep thats it. so can i pick up a cord at a store that has the dvi end on one side and rca on the other, or how would that work?

6. straitlynn

my bad, my computer actually doesnt have all those outputs running along the bottom. theres just slots with tin blanks that looks to be where those outputs would be if i had them.my monitor output is actually the only place i have for an output.is there still something i can do?

7. straitlynn

mine looks like this...

Attached Files:

8. stantley

stantley

It looks like you just have on-board video, but if you look at this picture you can add a PCI card. So you could get a PCI video card that would have dual output and s-video output you could hook up to your TV.

See if you have either an AGP or PCI-e slot. With one of those you could get a better video card.

Attached Files:

9. straitlynn

any idea on where i could look for one of these(best buy, circuit city, something like that)? are these things expensive and would i need to bring my computer in to have it installed?

10. stantley

stantley

11. straitlynn

so if i got one of these, i would just need to get a s-video cable, connect the computer to my tv and my tv would then act as my monitor?i just want to not have to sit at my 15" monitor to watch stuff off of google video and veoh and things like that...

12. stantley

stantley

Yes, you could get one of these http://www.svideo.com/sv3rca.html and a video card and you're good to go.

The resolution of a TV isn't as good as a monitor so for reading text you have to use the monitor, but videos look OK on a TV.

13. straitlynn

thanks a lot for your time and help, i appreciate it greatly...

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice