1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Convert 16 bit application to VC++ Express

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by norman1312, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norman1312

norman1312 Thread Starter

I have an application that was developed using Borland Turbo C++ and OWL (on XP). That is a 16-bit application that won't work on my Windows 7 machine, but is currently installed under XP Mode.
    I have successfully converted one application to Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express with a fairly simple dialog box reading and writing simple data items.
    This application uses more complex dialog boxes, such as list boxes and combo boxes for things like selecting a start date or a range of dates.
    I now know how to get a dialog box to run off a menu item, but cannot see how to do these more complex things in Express.
    As Resource Editing is not supported under Express I have to use a trial and error method to get it right, but need to know how to get started, if possible.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+, x64 Family 15 Model 107 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1983 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 61048 MB; D: Total - 400001 MB, Free - 74929 MB; E: Total - 100006 MB, Free - 39385 MB; F: Total - 453851 MB, Free - 68385 MB; I: Total - 953866 MB, Free - 539493 MB;
    Motherboard: WinFast, 6150M2MA
    Antivirus: Webroot SecureAnywhere, Updated and Enabled

2. Jogy

Jogy

Hello,

You can try to upgrade the application form OWL to OWLNext (https://sourceforge.net/projects/owlnext/)

OWLNext supports Visual C++, and works fine under modern operating systems (it even is being ported to 64-bit)

The complexity of the task depends on whether you are using OWL 2 or OWL5.

Jogy

3. norman1312

Unfortunately owlnext only works for version 5 and above. The code I have was created using version 3.
    I remember looking at 5 when it came out but there was no conversion tool. I tried to upgrade manually but there were just too many differences for me to complete the upgrade.
    Back to VC++ it seems.

4. Jogy

Jogy

5. norman1312

I already have all the dialog boxes created. Now ALL I have to do is figure out how to populate and read them.
    That surely must be quicker that trying to perform the multiple tasks involved in an OWL 1.0 to OWLNEXT conversion and then have to perform yet another conversion.
    I have VC++ 6.0 but W7 complains about compatibility issues every time I run it. That's why I have moved on to VC++ 2010.
    Surely I'm better off starting from there?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice