?convert a dos program

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Barlen

I have been using PFS:File to store my wifes recipes, obviously for years. I have not found that format to be compatible with any other type database program. Is there any way, anyone can think of to convert this information to a database that would be usable?
barlen

What is PFS? If it is a database there is probably some way to output the information to a delimited format and then import it into Access or something similar. Maybe it's alreay in that format. Need some more info.

Barlen

Rockn,
PFS File is part of a system the the Software Publishing Corporation released a while back (like @ 1986!!). A word processing program was also part of the system as was a spreadsheet. --Simple- straightforward - intuitive - stable. then they started to upgrade and make things more complicated. (I tried a few of the upgrades, then reverted back to earlier versions)
I don't know what happened to the company, but I doubt if they are still in existence.
I still have the original documentation and can find nothing of any help to me, with this. No heading for exporting.
barlen

<a href="http://www.pivar.com/">Pivar's Conversion Services</a> has PFS:FILE listed on their list so looks like they'd be able to help you.

And from what I've found, it was 1983!

<a href="http://www.focuscorp.co.kr/spss/DBMS01.htm">Here'</a> an piece of software that claims to be able to convert pretty much anything and that file type is listed. Looks pretty old though - not sure if it still exists.

Ya know what... just for fun, can you email me the file? I just PM'd you my email address.

Barlen

Angel,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "file"-- In this program (PFS File) my wife has about 800 recipes -each of them would be a file.
I can print them out individually, I can save them and read them with any text or word document. Is that what you would want??
If so, what is your pleasure???chicken, meat, vegs, soup or what would you want.
I will be checking out the conversion service you suggested.
barlen

Barlen

Angel,
I wasn't being facetious. In answering your query, I realized I am probably in the wrong forum, asking the wrong question.
I've just acquired a laptop with windows xp. What I really need to know is how can I (or CAN I) get xp to open a DOS program? When I attempt to do so, all I get is a blank screen and a temporary lock up.
No urgency, so before I switch forums, I'll sit for a while and see what comes up.
barlen

Rockn said:
What is PFS? If it is a database there is probably some way to output the information to a delimited format and then import it into Access or something similar. Maybe it's alreay in that format. Need some more info.
PFS file will export to dBase III format, which Access can read without conversion.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online