1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

convert .bmp to .jpeg

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rylz, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rylz

rylz Thread Starter

hi...I have a digital camcorder and I am capturing still shots off the video, then saving them to a file.
    They are in the .bmp format...how do I change this to .jpeg?

Thanks!

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

You should be able in paint to convert it to jpg by clicking
    "save as" under file & adding the extention .jpg

Try it & see

Savvy :)

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Rylz
    Using MS Paint is probably the easiest and should be available to you using Windows. If the filter is not there you can obtain that or download Infranview with also will do the conversion.
    http://www.irfanview.com
    Dave

4. rylz

rylz Thread Starter

ok guys...thanks for the quick replies, but these stills are already saved into a file as .bmp format. When I go in and open using MSPaint, click on saveAs: and put the title with .jpeg it will switch it in the title, but I can't open it from the file - it's just a white screen.

What am I doing wrong? should I go back and re"grab" these off the video and convert it then?

Thanks for all your help and sorry for the confusion.
    Davey, I looked into irfanview but I am using Windows98 (it isn't compatible)
    :D

5. Max19

Max19 Account Disabled

In the Save As window, you have to choose JPG from the Save as type drop-down box. You can't just add JPG as a file extension.

6. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

The image file you want to convert is now a BMP file. So open MS paint & click file / open & select the BMP you want to convert.
    When its opened in paint... go to file & "SAVE AS" if you can select save as JPG then do so...if not ...then " SAVE AS" & type in imagefile.jpg in the directory where you are naming the file. OK,
    then close Paint & go to the directory that the imagefile.jpg was saved to.

There you will see the jpeg & BMP both if you left it in the same directory.

Savvy :)

PS... Irfanview is compatable to Win98... I used it for a long time on Win98

7. drdrew1469

drdrew1469

Infranview is your best bet. It's soo easy to do with it. But when saving .bmp images from MSPaint by adding the .jpg or .jpeg extention, you could lose the ability to view as a thumbnail in Windows also. Irfanview doesn't do this and all is well in "Convertland"

Drew

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice