1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Convert excel 97 file to access 97

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by poggy, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. poggy

poggy Thread Starter

We used to be able to open excel files in access, however now the extension type .xls is not available in the file extension box under open. It wont let me drag and drop excel docs into access either. i get the impression that i need to use the odbc function under control panel but i cant seem to get any joy, has ne1 got any pointers??
    cheers

2. RandyG

RandyG

3. poggy

poggy Thread Starter

sorry that didnt work,

it looks like all the components arent installed and we are restricted in the office to what we can install, so is there a website where we can download the required files for conversion?

4. RandyG

RandyG

Sorry about that. I didn't think it was the actual resolution, but I took a stab.

I could find no info on Access suddenly being unable to open Excel files. My other recommendation would be to reinstall Access, but you said

Are you running under NT and are not the administrator? That is the only way I can figure that you would be restricted in installations, unless you are referring to the fact that you no longer have the CDs to do a reinstall.

Was anything done to the machine to make it suddenly stop being able to open Excel files through Access? Any other software loaded, or updates done?

Hopefully, someone else will jump in and offer a solution.

5. poggy

poggy Thread Starter

the link you provided did give the solution, the problem was that the dlls on my computer werent working (god knows why) so i had to use regsvr32.exe to get them to register with access. not quite sure why all this worked or even why the thing went bust to begin with. but at least its sorted now.

cheers

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64532

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice